Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I found out yesterday I need a shoulder replacement and headed to surgery in October. My sister had one done and the recovery is 6-9 months before you are really back to “normal”

I am concerned about the coach sitting for a long time (many months) and debating whether I should sell it now and get back into coach ownership after I have fully recovered.

This is a great time to sell if there was an opportunity. If I we’re to keep it, what do I need to do?

I store inside connected to power.

If you really love your coach, keep it and recover. My ownership is primarily for snowbirding. It sits unused a lot. I have a monthly procedure to monitor the batteries, exercise the generator and periodically take it for a drive, just to keep things moving.

If on the other hand, you'd like to change floor plans or change options, this might the prime opportunity.

Good luck on your decision and follow your therapy sessions to the letter.

First, Sheridan, we're sorry to hear that you are having shoulder issues and need surgery. LadyDi and I will have you in our prayers.

I don't think there would be much of a problem with storing the coach indoors for that time period as long as it is connected to power. If you could exercise it periodically with a short drive and running the generator, that would be even better.

IIRC, you have been considering a new coach and, if so, this might be a good time to start the change-over. Between now and your surgery, you could remove your personal stuff and put your current coach up for sale. It might even be good therapy during your recovery to go through the planning and ordering process for a new coach. And, don't forget that there's a significant lag time between when an order is placed and a coach is delivered.

Good luck on whatever you decide. We'll all be here with you every step of the way.

TJ

That is such a personal decision, I could not begin to advise on that. I wouldn’t think there is a bad choice to make there. Regardless, I’m sorry to hear of your shoulder problem, and I wish you the speediest of recoveries.

Just a thought, but the process of ordering a coach and getting finaly delivery is probably pretty close to your recovery time.

When I decided to get my 2019, I placed the order with a build slot later than I could have taken. This allowed me to take delivery after I returned from Europe.

Speedy recovery @sheridany. I think you have options and decisions you need to make. Storing is no issue and you can also contact your insurance provider and put it in a garaged state to save some $ or sell it while the selling is hot if that's really the long term goal. Good luck and get your tune up :)

As a retired Rv dealer I still have a large stake in the industry so I try to keep up with the industry and the market. If you want to sell after 40 years Ive never seen a stronger time for sellers. I was on one of my former stores a month ago and had I not known better I would have thought he was closing for lack of inventory in all catagories. My former motorcycle shop was also in the same condition with plenty of buisness but no inventory. Both owners said the used units they were buying at the dealer auctions were bringing over retail book unfortunately the banks dont care about the market strength they only care about wholesale for financing purposes.
I had a hurricane flooded vacation home the day before my shoulder surgery and within four days i drove 1100 miles and spent three weeks in the muck cleaning up. Yes painful but it was better then sitting around thinking about it. Mucho suerte

Serious bummer @sheridany. Having had a couple of hips replaced I can somewhat relate. Best of luck in your recovery.
As to long term storage, I think people get overly worried about it. And in your case you have about the best possible scenario for storage. There are many coaches that don’t move for years (sitting in the Indio/Palm Springs Area for example) that seem to handle it just fine.
However, as others have mentioned, what a great time to sell what you have and plan & order a new one!
Best of luck with whatever branch of the road you choose. ???

If it was me, I would get several second opinions, 785,000 people die in hospitals annually, plus during this time, the chance of COVID 19 infection is going to be higher. I am no doctor, but I would look at several alternative treatments from some sources, even trying acupuncture before I let them take my shoulder and put in something else. But that is my opinion. To say I don't trust doctors would be putting it mildly. If you watch evening news, conflicting doctors opinions about the present situation should prove my point.

Lets stick to the OP's question
This is a great time to sell if there was an opportunity. If I we’re to keep it, what do I need to do?

He did not solicit medical advice, so lets not go down that road.

Latest resources

Back