Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Fiberglass Wall Skin not attached?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Frank

RVF Regular
RV Year
Hello,
I have a 2020 Baystar 3401 and have noticed a questionable condition on the passenger sidewall just above the rear wheels. This area is between the rear awning support and the bathroom window area, there are at least 3 aluminum studs in this area. When the coach is cool, the fiberglass skin fits tight against the inner aluminum studs (16" centers) and looks fine, looking down the side of the coach all is nice and flat. If the coach sits in the sun and warms up, this area now appears to bow outward away from the inner studs, so much so it is very visible and I can push inward on the skin at least 1/4". When the wall cools down, it returns to flat and firm over the studs. This starts about a foot above floor level and continues up at least four feet. I know the adhesive used DOES NOT fully harden but would think it should still keep the wall attached to the studs. I also understand there are some screws used to attach the walls but these are at the top and bottom under trim pieces, not middle wall area. This condition is not evident anywhere else on the coach. Newmar has agreed to look at it but said its more than likely normal, but not IMHO. One reason I went with Newmar was the walls did not wave at you when looking down the sides like some laminated walls. I was going to attach a picture but it really does not show the extent of what I am talking about. Has anyone noticed this type of thing or have this condition?

Thanks in advance and Safe Travels!

Frank

You look to be close to the Factory Service Center in Nappanee. I'd have them take a look at it. If it is delaminating the Factory may repair it under warranty. On my CanyonStar, I was at the Service Center for an annual maintenance, the tech found a section that was delaminating, and fixed under warranty.

Being a 2020 Bay Star, I would definitely be taking it to Newmar! Your description certainly sounds like delamination and something that Newmar would definitely want to repair under warranty!
In my opinion, this would be totally unacceptable, if stated to be "normal"!!
Good Luck!

Hello,
I have a 2020 Baystar 3401 and have noticed a questionable condition on the passenger sidewall just above the rear wheels. This area is between the rear awning support and the bathroom window area, there are at least 3 aluminum studs in this area. When the coach is cool, the fiberglass skin fits tight against the inner aluminum studs (16" centers) and looks fine, looking down the side of the coach all is nice and flat. If the coach sits in the sun and warms up, this area now appears to bow outward away from the inner studs, so much so it is very visible and I can push inward on the skin at least 1/4". When the wall cools down, it returns to flat and firm over the studs. This starts about a foot above floor level and continues up at least four feet. I know the adhesive used DOES NOT fully harden but would think it should still keep the wall attached to the studs. I also understand there are some screws used to attach the walls but these are at the top and bottom under trim pieces, not middle wall area. This condition is not evident anywhere else on the coach. Newmar has agreed to look at it but said its more than likely normal, but not IMHO. One reason I went with Newmar was the walls did not wave at you when looking down the sides like some laminated walls. I was going to attach a picture but it really does not show the extent of what I am talking about. Has anyone noticed this type of thing or have this condition?

Thanks in advance and Safe Travels!

Frank
It is definitely not normal. I remember seeing another post sometime back with the same issue. Perhaps when in the sun with the side wall expanded, you could take a picture using some type of straight edge that would show the issue and send that to Newmar

Yes I agree that it should not be this way. I do have an appointment early November at Newmar as well. Mainly was curious if anyone else had or has this type of issue.

Thanks!

Love to know how Newmar fixed this for anyone else with this issue! Seems like they would need to remove the entire glass outside wall and resecure it with new adhesive..........

From what I have seen at Nappanee, changing a wall skin is a routine job. Some of the Older Class A will have the exterior walls replaced. If a RV is stored outside the walls go through many heat cycles which works the bonding material. Add moisture/humidity and the walls will start to move as the water collects and evaporates.

Absolutely take it to Newmar. We have a 2018 Bay Star and the sidewall came unglued right where it meets the front cap by the mirror. We were three years old at that point and after talking up the supervisor chain they did NOT cover it as part of the structural warranty. I was extremely disappointed, but luckily it was a relatively cheap fix in our situation. Do not let it get out of warranty just in case.

Bill

Well my coach is stored inside, has not seen much activity, 2700k miles due to family health issues. Most of the miles are from factory to dealer and back to factory twice for repairs. It is now out of factory warranty but reported this within a day or two or warranty ending. I would be upset if this would not be covered by structural warranty as well. Got the window recall (already had 2 replaced previously) and will have it looked at in November. Fingers and toes crossed........

We had bathroom window almost fall out. The rest of them which crank out, seem to be fine. I might make trip to Nappanee, but I got to have two weeks open and from now till EOY, aint got two weeks until December, and sure dont want to go up there then.

Latest resources

Back