Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TNTSR

RVF Newbee
Hi, we are a family of 5, traveling our first time in a class C RV, starting from LA going to Sequoia, Yosemite, Reno, Salt Lake City, Torrey, Zion, Grand Canyon, Vegas and back to LA. We just have 11 days to make it. Do you consider it too long for 11 days? We need some suggestions for driving in snow/ice. Places you recommend.
Any comment or suggestion will help us a lot
Thank you so much.

Well your talking about 8 stops in 11 days, add driving time and you won’t see much but the scenery along the road.

That is a lot to cover in eleven days. Personally, I would scale back a bit in order to be able to explore and experience a few destinations.

What do you want to accomplish on this trip? What you have laid out is primarily road trip/driving. If you only want to spend a couple/few hrs at each stop then it can work. But like others said, if you are outdoors people and if you want to explore some of these stops then I would cut out at least half of them.

A few years back, while on a business trip in Calif, I took a day to drive to sequoia, kings canyon and Yosemite. That was such a disservice to what is there. We are planning to go back and spend a couple weeks in just that area.

This trip could be for you what my drive in Calif was, just a sampler that tells me I went way too fast and now need to go back and spend much more time in each spot.

Thanks for the reply, we love to hike and know well places, but we don’t really know what places can be more enjoyable with our 3 kids (6yrs old, 5yrs old and 2yrs old), so do you recommend more the California part or the utah-nevada better in winter? Thanks

California depends on location and time of year. The desert is nice this time of year like borrego springs and Joshua tree National park but you go north it’s colder and foggy from Bakersfield north. The coast is a little warmer than the Central Valley and Northern California until you get up near Sonoma county. You might consider Sedona, AZ but given the time you have CA in a limited way might be your best best.

ADD: Parts of Nevada are nice too. Just a lot of driving.

Yikes...although you didn't specify exactly when, you are (now) entering a drop in the jet stream and the storm tract will be coming in over the area of your trip. Snow can be quite heavy (where) you are traveling and to be honest, you may either be snowed in or out. Unless you are experienced driving an RV in the snow (different than a car), I would be a little more conservative. Next week the snow is expected to be heavy in the Sierras and there are two more storms tracking before Christmas. Just be careful friend. You want this "first" trip to be without mishap 😉

1639244345010.png

With your travel plan and the amount of days you have, about the only thing you are going to see is service stations. If you don't already have reservations for the national parks you have listed, you can pretty well scratch them off the list, as these places book out well in advance. For your very first trip, with young children, I'd suggest you take more of a local trip - say up the coast, over to Death Valley, etc.

Latest resources

Back