Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
in the toad....it still sucks! Driving around Tucson hunting for a place to get lunch, or dinner, it's around 2 AZ time. So I get lunch and on the way I hear a thud thud thud thinking there is a flat spot on the tire, it's probably time to change them. 23K on the toad + 35K behind the coach. So on the way home the TPMS on the dash shows right front low, I pull over and I can hear it. Do I figure out how to change the tire or just call roadside service with USAA that I pay for? I started reading the manual and pulling the jack and stuff out and use the USAA app to get roadside service, why not. Then of course what can't I find??? Yep, the lug nut key! I take my vehicle for service at a Chevy dealership at home, the only place it goes. Sure enough they must have kept the tire key at the last service so I'm screwed. Roadside assistance shows up and it looks like I'll need a tow but I've already contacted the local dealer to get 4 new tires on it tomorrow. Great news is roadside assistance is able to plug the puncture and off I go.

There is no fun with a flat tire EVER! Especially complicated by a demanding blonde in the back seat, four legged type!

Saga over, I'm home 0700 at Chevy Tucson and I'm getting new shoes for the toad.

I found out the hard way, jack provided wouldn’t get up high enough to remove the tire. Then I got help thru USAA.

That really blows. I don’t use wheel locks exactly for that reason. glad you made it out okay. You got lunch though!

If I had a flat tire repair kit this would have been easier. So yes, I'm getting one!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I52RG0/?tag=rvf01-20

flat-tire-kit.png

I keep a jump starter in the back of my toad when traveling which has an air pump so this could have worked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X6VXL4/?tag=rvf01-20

jump-starter.png

Yup...the plug kits are a must...and relatively easy to use provided you run over a nail or screw, etc... I find the most difficult part of the process is the ream out. Haven't tried it on the MH however...hmmm...I don't have a jack or a spare...or a pump...hmmm...need to re-think this ?

Sorry about the hassle but yes, carrying a tire plug kit and compressor is a must IMHO. I can't tell you how many times it has saved my butt. I even carry them in my motorcycles. Will they work on a Class A RV tire???? I hope I never have to try.

Plug kits and on-board air in my trucks, suv, jeep, and dutchstar.

Bmw's don't have anything, including spare tire. They both have run flats. The only time in recent history (7 years) I have had a on-road tire issue is a pothole destroying the BMW tire. Drove it home and waited for roadside assistance while drinking coffee.

Sorry about the hassle but yes, carrying a tire plug kit and compressor is a must IMHO. I can't tell you how many times it has saved my butt. I even carry them in my motorcycles. Will they work on a Class A RV tire???? I hope I never have to try.
with 100+ PSI, I'm not sure I would want to try.

I spent 5 hours at Watson Chevrolet this morning getting four new tires, alignment, as the battery is nearing 4 years old I got that changed, and an oil change. I'm happy to report Watson Chevrolet has been funded to continue operations for the remainder of January. Elli will sacrifice dog treats and chew bones until further notice. She will be walking kids for a small fee.

I spent 5 hours at Watson Chevrolet this morning getting four new tires, alignment, as the battery is nearing 4 years old I got that changed, and an oil change. I'm happy to report Watson Chevrolet has been funded to continue operations for the remainder of January. Elli will sacrifice dog treats and chew bones until further notice. She will be walking kids for a small fee.
Probably less than your Amazon bill...

Latest resources

Back