Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

sealab2021

RVF Regular
Inter some intense research I have came to the conclusion that I need a Toyota Yaris or a Corolla for flat towing behind the potential sprinter class c purchase. They both fit my budget. I currently have an older Prius that I will soon retire as it cannot be used as a toad and has a ton of miles on it. I considered a truck but it proved too expensive. Is there some way to carry a 500 pound motorcycle on the back of the RV? The weight of the bike exceeds the tongue weight. I know there may be a way to get around this with something custom fitted to the frame I imagine. Or I could consider getting something smaller like a tw200, right now I have a dr650. I could decide to forego a motorcycle altogether, but if there’s a possibility I would rather bring it with me. It’s a blast to drive off-road and it’s an important hobby of mine that I’m quite fond of.

I considered most of the common flat towed vehicle options, but most proved to be too expensive and get terrible fuel mileage. Ones I checked out that I disregarded, Tacoma, jeep, frontier, ranger, mini etc, 2 wheel drive models of course.

Originally I planned on putting it in the back of a pickup truck but I’m having a hard time finding a model that can be flat towed. Ideally I could find a nice low mile 2010 or so older ranger with the manual but there aren’t many for sale. Any of you tote motorcycles and tow a TOAD? If so, how do you do it and what kind of bikes do you have? I have seen some quite elaborate ways people carry bikes, ie hydraulic lift etc.

thanks

Hydra lift was the one that I was thinking of. Quite pricey, I may go back to the Nissan Frontier option. I’m sure the bike will ride fine and be in the bed. the Cheapest reasonable mileage frontier 2x4 runs at least $17,000.

Cheapest option is probably a flatbed trailer long enough to accommodate the bike loaded sideways and the car. Lots of folks do enclosed trailers.

Flat towed truck with the bike in the bed is by far the most trouble free in my opinion.

Think you will find a 2x4 will need standard trans to flat tow.

Price all the equipment required to flat tow, and compare to a car trailer before you buy.

Yes, that’s correct. There are very few newer standard transmission vehicles. The trailer is out, I want something that I can be able to take to any campground, planning on flat towing only. I may have to leave the bike, it’s not too big of a deal. Definitely don’t want to have a car trailer or tow dolly to deal with.

Yes, that’s correct. There are very few newer standard transmission vehicles. The trailer is out, I want something that I can be able to take to any campground, planning on flat towing only. I may have to leave the bike, it’s not too big of a deal. Definitely don’t want to have a car trailer or tow dolly to deal with.
Then, the first thing you need to do is some research on what vehicles are actually flat-towable. The vast majority are not, including the ones you mentioned in your original post. Now, technically, any vehicle can be made to be flat-towable if you throw enough money at the problem, but in most cases adding all the necessary equipment to do that just doesn’t make economic sense.

If you are looking for an older vehicle, a 2012-2014 Honda CR-V makes an excellent toad. It won’t haul your motorcycle, however. After 2014, the CR-V is no longer flat-towable due to a change in transmission. For a smaller pickup, the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon for the past few years is also flat towable and might be able to haul a motorcycle.

As I said, do your homework before making any decisions. Good luck.

TJ

Last edited:
Yes I have done lots of research. I believe the vehicles I listed including the Nissan Frontier standard transmission 2wd is flat towable. My car choice would be a standard transmission Corolla or a standard Yaris. I like the idea of having the hitch mounted motorcycle rack but then I need the suspension on the vehicle to support it. I like the idea of a small car that gets excellent fuel mileage and is easy to park and maneuver in the urban areas.

That versa haul is a nice quality looking rack. However I’m still limited by tongue weight. As you are aware the dr is around 500#. Can you tow the toad with that rack in place? I see it has a receiver. What do you do about the limited tongue weight? I may have to consider a smaller lighter bike like a tw200 or something similar, maybe even a Honda scooter.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back