Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Romaolson

RVF Newbee
Looking to purchase a vehicle to flat tow behind our Dynamax Isata 31DS. Have received mixed answers about flat tow of a 2008 Jeep Compass 5 speed manual. Can someone tell me if they tow that model.
Thanks
Romaolson

I know on my 17' you put the transfer case in neutral and then put the automatic in park or the manual in 1st gear. This is to keep the transmission gears from turning and burning up the transmission. Not sure what the deal is on a 2008 manual compass.

Looking to purchase a vehicle to flat tow behind our Dynamax Isata 31DS. Have received mixed answers about flat tow of a 2008 Jeep Compass 5 speed manual. Can someone tell me if they tow that model.
Thanks
Romaolson
Yea you can put it in neutral and you’re good to go just like any 6/5/4 speed transmission put it in neutral you’re good to go. An automatic transmission absolutely not

Yea you can put it in neutral and you’re good to go just like any 6/5/4 speed transmission put it in neutral you’re good to go. An automatic transmission absolutely not
WRONG. According to 2008 Compass manual: "DO NOT flat tow this vehicle. Damage to the driv-
etrain will result"

Jeep Wrangler manual trans flat tow with trans in gear, transfer case in neutral. Check your manual.

90% of manufacture manuals are you going to say you can’t flat tow a 6/5 or 4 speed manual transmission. We had a 6 speed mini Cooper 2013 flat towed it 10,000 miles and VW newer 5 speed. manufacture says absolutely do not tow, they don’t want the liability if you put it in first gear or you make a mistake on your own. If you understand how a manual transmission works then you’d be understanding. I worked on cars , trucks transmissions over the years and diesels you’re wrong my friend

90% of manufacture manuals are you going to say you can’t flat tow a 6/5 or 4 speed manual transmission. We had a 6 speed mini Cooper 2013 flat towed it 10,000 miles and VW newer 5 speed. manufacture says absolutely do not tow, they don’t want the liability if you put it in first gear or you make a mistake on your own. If you understand how a manual transmission works then you’d be understanding. I worked on cars , trucks transmissions over the years and diesels you’re wrong my friend
Apparently I understand how a manual transmission is lubricated better than you do.

In the end I would strongly advise the OP to believe the owners manual and not some random person on the internet.

edit to add: If you can point us to a reliable resource that supports your claim, that would be helpful. As far as I know, having rebuilt dozens of manual transmissions over the last 40 years... if the oil level isn't up to the output shaft you run risk of damage to the output shaft bearing and possibly gear bushings/bearings as well. I've seen some where the oil level is up to the bottom of the output shaft, and others where it's several inches below. Blanket statements that all manual transmission can be flat towed in neutral is completely wrong IMO.

Last edited:
Apparently I understand how a manual transmission is lubricated better than you do.

In the end I would strongly advise the OP to believe the owners manual and not some random person on the internet.

edit to add: If you can point us to a reliable resource that supports your claim, that would be helpful. As far as I know, having rebuilt dozens of manual transmissions over the last 40 years... if the oil level isn't up to the output shaft you run risk of damage to the output shaft bearing and possibly gear bushings/bearings as well. I've seen some where the oil level is up to the bottom of the output shaft, and others where it's several inches below. Blanket statements that all manual transmission can be flat towed in neutral is completely wrong IMO.

Wow coming from owner of 23‘ prior rental rig, little testy don’t have to be nasty there buddy. I certainly didn’t mean to push your buttons obviously it’s easy . Gearbox oil level needs to be full even when you’re driving and not pulling its all relative. The only shaft moving in neutral is the primary shaft that is submerged gear oil. We both have to agree to disagree. I have experience obviously you’re reading the manual. Done with this subject will let the folks online decide what’s best for them

Latest resources

Back