Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Chrisalex

RVF Newbee
I know this will receive the usual "check the owners manual" responses....which I have done...but I need assistance with the procedure used to flat tow a Jeep JL Wrangler. We have been flat towing our Jeep for over two years. Recently I had to replace the transmission and rear differential. Thankfully this was covered under warranty. I am not sure if this was due to a faulty transmission or if I have done something wrong in my flat tow procedure. I would appreciate the groups feedback on your flat tow procedure and I will compare with mine.

I dont know if a 2020 still uses a conventional transfer case, but if it does, this sounds like maybe the transfer case was in low range and the transmission in neutral. I’ve read of some cases of damage to the transmission and engine from similar mishaps, but never the rear differential. The standard method is to put the transfer case in neutral and the trans in gear if standard or park if automatic.

The correct setup for JL Wranglers: transfer case in N, automatic transmission in P, manual transmission in gear, parking brake released.

The correct setup for JL Wranglers: transfer case in N, automatic transmission in P, manual transmission in gear, parking brake released.
Correct. The entire procedure I use:

Start engine
Transmission into neutral
Transfer case to neutral
Transmission to drive. Rev to verify no movement
Return to idle
Transmission to reverse. Rev to verify no movement.
Return to idle
Transmission to park.

Display will warn engine speed to high for park. Turn off engine
You will hear park engage

Mine is manual so I check by running the engine and letting out the clutch after its in gear with the transfer in neutral. It seems a little over cautions at times becasuse I know the transfer case is in neutral, but it beats making a minor mistake in the cab and having major damage to the drivetrain.

It so easy for a minor mistake to have serious and expensive consequences. And there is so much to remember to check before moving the rig. Its almost getting to be too much but I still enjoy it, so I just keep reminding my self to slow down, double and tripple check everything, use lists, and above all don’t get impatient. It seems that all my goofs and damage (and there’s been plenty of both) have resulted from being in a hurry. And it is supposed to be recreational and leisurely. So take your time, do it right, check to make sure you did, and then enjoy. Now if I can only take my own advice…..

It so easy for a minor mistake to have serious and expensive consequences. And there is so much to remember to check before moving the rig. Its almost getting to be too much but I still enjoy it, so I just keep reminding my self to slow down, double and tripple check everything, use lists, and above all don’t get impatient. It seems that all my goofs and damage (and there’s been plenty of both) have resulted from being in a hurry. And it is supposed to be recreational and leisurely. So take your time, do it right, check to make sure you did, and then enjoy. Now if I can only take my own advice…..
The LA does not fit in the garage without removing my tow bar. This is the difference between the Dutchstar and LA.

My tow bar requires an adapter to fit in my hitch. Aligning the holes can be tricky.

Friday I got in a hurry and missed the tow bar hole. Found it while doing my driveway turns to lock the tow arms. Low speed accident (1mph), and the jeep was down hill from coach, so no contact.

Still very scary.
20221007_110045.jpg

That’s just the kind of thing that has finally slowed me down a bit.

Latest resources

Back