Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 450hp
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford F250 4X4
Fulltimer
No
I wanted to look at a 2021 F150 and asked about flat towing. My 2019 does so I assumed the 2021 would, we couldn't figure it out.

A little later they figured it out and the GM sent me a link to a YouTube video they did. So in case you're wondering.

I'm assuming it has to be a 4wd so you can put the electronic transfer case in neutral? I'm pretty sure a 2wd F-150 won't flat tow any more than the Ram will. You should specify that so someone doesn't get confused.

I went ahead and watched the video. Good Lord there's 27 steps to put that thing in flat tow mode!!! :oops: And she says you can flat tow this truck behind your "trailer" which is false. It can be towed behind your motorhome but flat towing any vehicle behind a trailer is illegal in most States. :rolleyes:

You must of missed the part at the beginning where she put it into 2 High.

I literally have no idea if 4WD is mandatory, I need and use 4WD regularly so I am only looking at them.

You must of missed the part at the beginning where she put it into 2 High.

I literally have no idea if 4WD is mandatory, I need and use 4WD regularly so I am only looking at them.
4WD is mandatory on most flat tow vehicles. Most you can't put an automatic in neutral and flat tow it because the transmission is not being lubricated while you drive. SO you have to stop the RV every 200 miles or so, start the TOAD and let the oil circulate, then resume your trip. Not something most people want to do. My Ram 1500 4WD will tow with the automatic transmission in PARK and the transfer case in neutral without stopping. My Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk will too.

4WD is mandatory on most flat tow vehicles. Most you can't put an automatic in neutral and flat tow it because the transmission is not being lubricated while you drive. SO you have to stop the RV every 200 miles or so, start the TOAD and let the oil circulate, then resume your trip. Not something most people want to do. My Ram 1500 4WD will tow with the automatic transmission in PARK and the transfer case in neutral without stopping. My Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk will too.
Hey @"EZ" quit comparing ? to ? it just ain't fair.

4WD is not absolutely mandatory for flat towing on all vehicles but the vast majority of flat towable vehicles do happen to be 4WD.
For example, you can flat tow a Subaru CrossTrek manual or a Fiat 500 manual, both of which are 2WD cars. As always, your owners manual is the gospel regarding whether or not your particular vehicle is flat towable. If so, the owners manual will expressly state this is okay. Otherwise, I’d not attempt it.

Back to the question at hand, in the case of the 2021 F150 - per the 2021 Ford F-150 owners manual, page 445 states for 4x2 vehicles:
You cannot recreational tow your vehicle with all wheels on the ground because vehicle or transmission damage could occur. You must recreational tow your vehicle with all four wheels off the ground, such as when using a car-hauling trailer. Otherwise, you cannot recreational tow your vehicle.

4x4 models however can be flat towed, the steps to do so are outlined on page 443-444.

Last edited:
That was a very confusing series of steps. Like anything, practice makes perfect I guess but it is very, very easy on the 2020 model.

looks like Ford tried and failed to make it simple here by putting on option in the settings, but they failed miserably by forcing for go through a series of manual steps before you can do that.

Engineers...

EZ Please take a couple of steps back.

This young lady was doing me a favor, as I said when I was there we couldn't figure it out. When they did she suggested putting a YT video, none of them had ever done one before. They were nice enough to do this for me and I wanted to share it.

Critiquing her like you have done just isn't fair, this was the first time she has done anything like this and I'm sorry it wasn't up to your level of expectation.

That was a very confusing series of steps. Like anything, practice makes perfect I guess but it is very, very easy on the 2020 model.

looks like Ford tried and failed to make it simple here by putting on option in the settings, but they failed miserably by forcing for go through a series of manual steps before you can do that.

Engineers...
and Lawyers

You definitely have to be determined to get there.

Latest resources

Back