Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ManlyMan

RVF VIP
Here’s a link to the very sad story of a flooded campground that didn’t get a lot of play time in the news due to the contested presidential election.

1-year-old baby among five found dead after floodwaters overtake N.C. campground

I don’t know if the campers received a flashflood warning or not but it is a reminder of how important it is to pay attention to the weather. This is especially true if you are camped near a body of water.

Very sad. I know we all feel vulnerable as RVers when it comes to mother nature. Tornado's seem to love trailer parks, I would imagine they may find RV parks too. Staying on top of the weather takes discipline as RVers and the decision to either not go or to move regardless of money lost in a reservation. I have a weather radio but not sure it's necessary these days in the era of smartphones and weather alerts so it's under the bed. I may reconsider this as needed.

Looking at the pictures of the campground, it just doesn't look like a place that would be vulnerable to a flash flood. Sad indeed.

I use an iPhone weather app from the Weather Channel as it ties to your phone GPS. So even when traveling it will alert me for the area I’m in.

Very sad. I know we all feel vulnerable as RVers when it comes to mother nature. Tornado's seem to love trailer parks, I would imagine they may find RV parks too. Staying on top of the weather takes discipline as RVers and the decision to either not go or to move regardless of money lost in a reservation. I have a weather radio but not sure it's necessary these days in the era of smartphones and weather alerts so it's under the bed. I may reconsider this as needed.
The challenging part is sometimes moving doesn't necessarily work. I was in a storm a few years ago, where I had to choose whether to run or ride it out. The problem was that the storm extended from Chicago to Elkhart and from Kalamazoo to Almost Indianapolis. and was moving rapidly to the east. Which way do I run? Golf sized hail in some places not far away, funnel clouds forming nearby. Yikes!! Other cells in Pa. Trapped.Thank God there was no damage to my rig or anyone in the campground, but it was a bit scary. I jhad juat invested thousans in the roof of the MH.

Latest resources

Back