Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I wasn't aware of specials when I ordered my coach, maybe a good thing, maybe not but one thing I wish I could have done better with is the floor tile choice. The porcelain tile is not my favorite and it can be very slick to a dog as my prior dog was terrified of them so I had to use a runner of top of them. I inquired with Newmar about getting the floor redone during winter rates (Jan - Mar) as I figured it can't be that much. As expected, the floor tile and grout is around $3k which is fine with me. The labor on the other hand is estimated at 200 hours. I am curious what the actual time required would be. Not sure what is involved but that runs the bill at 115/hr to nearly $27K which is not something I am willing to do. I could either take the risk and hope for much less time required and go for it, or red alert avoid avoid, way too much risk of monster money.

Anyone know what's really involved and why 200 hours of labor and if that's realistic?

I’d tell you to look elsewhere. I am having the bedroom floor and rear closet redone with new tile and it was 5k. Marathon does other brands as well. You could also try palacios in Arizona. Yes it’s far but a good reason to return to palmcatraz. 😊

I wasn't aware of specials when I ordered my coach, maybe a good thing, maybe not but one thing I wish I could have done better with is the floor tile choice. The porcelain tile is not my favorite and it can be very slick to a dog as my prior dog was terrified of them so I had to use a runner of top of them. I inquired with Newmar about getting the floor redone during winter rates (Jan - Mar) as I figured it can't be that much. As expected, the floor tile and grout is around $3k which is fine with me. The labor on the other hand is estimated at 200 hours. I am curious what the actual time required would be. Not sure what is involved but that runs the bill at 115/hr to nearly $27K which is not something I am willing to do. I could either take the risk and hope for much less time required and go for it, or red alert avoid avoid, way too much risk of monster money.

Anyone know what's really involved and why 200 hours of labor and if that's realistic?
We replaced our floor tile and rugs with water proof vynal planks in our 1999 Dutch Star with the extra boxes left over from our home. Installer charged 125, did excellent work. Took 1 day gave him 200
Could not see him work for that little. I supplied all trim and planks. Our two Pugs love it.

The hardest part would be the removal of existing tile. They would need to take out all of the furniture, remove or protect the carpet, but I recall you saying that was going to be replaced as well, then take a power hammer to the tiles and thinset. What a mess. Then clean up and put down fresh thinset and start laying tile.

You can’t avoid the tear out mess but vinyl is very good these days, waterproof, much lighter and easy to install. I would go vinyl planks or LVT all the way. You could also put that in your slides!

Last edited:
Motorhomes of Texas. Do outstanding work on remodeling

If you are going to replace the flooring, if at all possible, I would have floor heating installed. It was around a $7000 option on a new coach, if I recall, and worth every penny!

If you are going to replace the flooring, if at all possible, I would have floor heating installed. It was around a $7000 option on a new coach, if I recall, and worth every penny!
I was going to suggest the same thing 👍

Removing tile is pretty labor intensive. I watched the tech that did my coach repairs, tearing up tile in the coach next to mine in the service center, under where a couch would sit and he was making a big mess. We have a member here, @Ernie Ekberg that does or did do this for a living. I'm sure he'll fill us in.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back