Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rolandj

RVF Regular
So im redoing things in rv an d was wondering if i could do tile? I realize the grout issue but could i do the grout with the grout caulking ? its flexible and its not that big of area . I feel like its holding extra moisture in there with the floating floor that previous owner put in .

So im redoing things in rv an d was wondering if i could do tile? I realize the grout issue but could i do the grout with the grout caulking ? its flexible and its not that big of area . I feel like its holding extra moisture in there with the floating floor that previous owner put in .
If the subfloor that you are going over is firm, smooth, and flat your best bet to avoid ceramic tile and grout fracture is to use both a flexible setting adhesive and grout. Most stores that sell ceramic tile and supplies will have the proper adhesive and the liquid additive for the grout. I would recommend only using the grout caulk for final perimeter trim and touch up after the tile installation. Good luck with your project!

If the subfloor that you are going over is firm, smooth, and flat your best bet to avoid ceramic tile and grout fracture is to use both a flexible setting adhesive and grout. Most stores that sell ceramic tile and supplies will have the proper adhesive and the liquid additive for the grout. I would recommend only using the grout caulk for final perimeter trim and touch up after the tile installation. Good luck with your project!
Thank you i will look into that .

Luxury vinyl flooring that looks like tile may be a good alternative. It's warmer to the touch, softer to walk on, and will not crack and break as your chassis flexes when going over ruts and bumps at the CG. I wanted ceramic tile as well when we re-did all of our floors but RV Renovations and RV Service | Classic Coach Works told me they quit using the hard tile because there were too many complaints from their customers after it was installed. We went with the luxury vinyl flooring and couldn't be happier with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 7
Luxury vinyl flooring that looks like tile may be a good alternative. It's warmer to the touch, softer to walk on, and will not crack and break as your chassis flexes when going over ruts and bumps at the CG. I wanted ceramic tile as well when we re-did all of our floors but RV Renovations and RV Service | Classic Coach Works told me they quit using the hard tile because there were too many complaints from their customers after it was installed. We went with the luxury vinyl flooring and couldn't be happier with it.

That is absolutely true EZ, vinyl tiles in a retrofit situation can be a good alternative for all the reasons mentioned. I wanted to add something to the conversation that might be of interest since I was affiliated with RV builds in Elkhart, IN doing prototype flooring projects a few years ago. When we switched over to vinyl tiles while trying different materials other than sheet vinyl and ceramic we learned quickly that a hard set adhesive must be used to help avoid shrinkage or expansion of the vinyl tiles during hot and cold temperature cycles. A lower performing water based adhesive can lead to issues with gapped or tenting floor seams, even delamination from the subfloor. Some of our completed units sitting out on the lot in storage through the year without conditioned internal air exhibited these issues. After we changed to a one part polyurethane adhesive the problems stopped. The reason is that once the adhesive is hard set it locks the flooring into place and it prevents movement during temperature swings. Sheet vinyl tends not to be as problematic since in an RV flooring seams can generally be avoided, however I would recommend using a high performance and moisture resistant adhesive to help ensure the long term success of the overall installation. In the end after we finished the testing of floors the sheet vinyl won because it was less expensive than luxury vinyl tile and ceramic, it produced a seamless floor, less weight than ceramic, more reliable on a flexing subfloor than ceramic, faster to install during new unit production compared to vinyl tiles and ceramic, and easy for the end user to maintain. Again, in a retrofit situation luxury vinyl tile can be a great alternative and it has a history of performing well when properly installed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back