Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RCIII

RVF Newbee
Tomorrow I'm picking up our 2023 Freedom Express 274KRS travel trailer. We're excited to be getting a new rig but concerned about the 12-volt refrigerator and draining the battery when we go "off grid". All my past campers had gas/electric 3-way refrigerators. This unit does have a 175 watt solar panel but only one battery. I installed (2) 6-volt batteries in the Keystone Cougar that I'm trading in and it worked well but it didn't have the 12-volt refrigerator. Looking for advice on how to keep it charged. I do have a generator but its heavy and i prefer not to have to bring it with me. Thanks

It should seem intuitive, but this is my opinion!

Without experience with your rig, no one can suggest energy saving ideas that are valid. Only you know how you camp!

An example, I lived aboard my boat and never had problems with the fridge, and only had one 45w panel. OH wait! I didn't have a fridge, and never used the icebox!

So that is one way to keep the fridge from draining the batteries.

I figure that idea would not be taken kindly to! So you know that a compressor fridge uses less energy on 12v than a 3way, right? Still one battery can come in many chemistries, and many sizes. Golf cart batteries are old school, and better options are available. My lead carbon 12v batteries are 200ah, likely larger than the combined Golf cart batteries you are leaving behind, capacity wise!

That said there are many options to make the fridge a joy in your new rig.

I would start by taking the generator with so you don't do without, should you run the batteries down.

Realize that you will likely need to modify your equipment list to make your shiny new rig work for you!!!

Congrats on your new toy!!!

P S
I run 1) 115v 6.5CF fridge and 1) 4cf chest freezer on 200ah 24v(400ah @12v) system with no problems with 3 cloudy days, so off batteries. (12v fridges are more efficient.)

Also, In my opinion less than 500w of solar is a waste of time!

Yeah, I agree on 500w of solar, just got a quote from an RV solar company and they’re recommending 800w. Price tag is north of $11k. Yikes

Yeah, I agree on 500w of solar, just got a quote from an RV solar company and they’re recommending 800w. Price tag is north of $11k. Yikes
Consider used panels. I pay 50 bucks for 250watt panels. Look up santan solar.

Latest resources

Back