• Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Retired

RVF VIP
Fulltimer
No
Where do you get fresh water?

Do you leave the house with a full tank and haul the weight around with you on the road?

At 8.33# a gallon, water is not light.

If you are boondocking and not going to RV camps, where do you get fresh water while on the road?

How often do you sanitize your fresh water tank?

One of many questions I have regarding life on the road.

If we plan to visit a Harvest Host or a campground without water we usually fill up at home. Most campgrounds however, (that don't have water at each site) usually have potable water somewhere in the area to fill up the RV. In regards to sanitizing the fresh water tank .... I think they recommend it at least twice a year.

I leave with a full tank. I seem to get the same mpg uphill, downhill, fully loaded or not. I also don’t want to get caught without water if I find myself beside the road in BFE.

We rarely boondock, so not much input to provide there.

On average, I sanitize twice a year. Once at the start of the season and again at the midway point.

Where do you get fresh water?

Do you leave the house with a full tank and haul the weight around with you on the road?

At 8.33# a gallon, water is not light.

If you are boondocking and not going to RV camps, where do you get fresh water while on the road?

How often do you sanitize your fresh water tank?

One of many questions I have regarding life on the road.
Most federal parks and private parks have water. Some federal parks offer water without charge. If they do charge the fee is small and worth the secure approved water supply. Some people like to take chances and use the non-potable water at dump stations, I have seen people put there slinky up to the tap to clean the hose. Bad option in my opinion.

I could do the dump station thing as I have a system that rivals the municipal water supply system, but I don't.

We;
Get fresh water at our final destination. If boon docking, there are numerous locations to get fresh water, plan ahead.
(depending on your length of stay and the actual size of your tanks, you may need a portable tank.
Travel with about 5 gal. in the tank.
Carry a case of bottled water for drinking.
Sanitize fresh water tank in the spring after winter storage.

*Make sure you know exactly how much your tanks hold!
*Don't be fooled by a mfr. stated propaganda!

Yipes! You're supposed to sanitize these tanks? Ruh-Roh!

l never boondocks, but carry 3/4 of a tank, especially when on the road for several days. Sanitize once a year in the spring.

We travel full. Sanitize once a year.

I always keep water in my tanks. It's filtered on the way in. I sanitize at least once a year. I have a drinking water faucet on the kitchen sink. It has a second in line filter. That water tastes better than bottled water. Here's the filter...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D04BXBI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
OK, OK, Yes I sanitize. Wondering how you all do it.

I have a 55 gal barrel in the back of the truck I ozone-ate the water let it gravity feed threw a carbon block filter into the holding tank. If I don't like the taste I might put a little baking soda in the tank(not necessary). because I drink the stuff that comes out of the RO unit. Through out I only use carbon block filters. by the time the water comes out of the RO tap it has gone threw 4 carbon block filters. I must be wearing an aluminum hat! :unsure:

Latest resources

Back