RV Make
Keystone
RV Model
Cougar 364BHL
RV Length
39’ 3”
Fulltimer
No
Hello everyone! I’m new to the forum and we are about to get our first camper! 5th wheel. Trying to decide on an electric fridge or propane/electric. I can see it both ways, I’m just wanting some seasoned opinions. Thank you!

Welcome to RVF, @PJ5rs; glad to have you join us here.

We are in an all-electric coach; no propane on board. In order to do that effectively, our coach has a good-sized inverter and large battery bank to keep the refrigerator powered at all times. In addition, we have a large generator aboard. You need to see whether you have enough batteries and a large enough inverter to support the refrigerator for a significant time period. Don't know if you will have a generator on board the 5th wheel, but that could be important as well.

We like not having to deal with propane, but that also requires an electric induction stove and a non-propane heating source (ours is the Oasis system with electric elements and a diesel burner). You will probably have a hybrid system with propane heat and range, but electric refrigerator.

Good luck.

TJ

My view is electric only for fridge. But like TJ said the choice to go electric requires other investments.

A quality low frequency low voltage inverter. other inverters will not last on a 24/7 basis.

Larger battery bank

Method of charging the bank, even if that is connected to the grid. My system involves solar.

Of course you can go 12vdc fridge but that means larger investment than 115vac and inverter.

My fiver has a residential fridge. I have had both and can tell you that I prefer the residential! Size is bigger, things stay at a better temperature (MY opinion!), and it can go all day without power. My fiver does have a 1000W inverter and two batteries from the factory and I have not had any issue not being plugged in for one night. IF you want to boondock you would probably want the RV type fridge. It all comes down to what you want. Plugged in most all the time or the opportunity to boondock...... decision time........

Thanks everyone for the advice. Not really sure how much boondocking we will do , but I’m sure it will happen at least a day in transit. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks everyone for the advice. Not really sure how much boondocking we will do , but I’m sure it will happen at least a day in transit. Thanks for the advice!
If you go with res. refer., don't despair should you choose to boondock. I only recommend low freq, low voltage inverter because they last 10 times as long and don't create as high a parasitic load. they also start inductive loads better than automotive inverters. The fact that 500w of solar will maintain the battery bank while using the fridge.

115vac refrigerators do keep things cooler than propane fridges. Your choice of fridges should take annual energy use into account. wise choices in the components will keep you happy with what you have done.

One more thing! All I do is boondock, and I keep the refrigerator going with solar. Yes I have a bunch of solar but kept the fridge going well with 280watts of solar when one panel broke. The system worked very well with two of those panels, a total of 560watts. Of course we all want more, so I keep the fridge, a ice maker, modified freezer that now serves as a cellar, all on 2000 watts of solar.

Thanks Kevin. I think we are going to go with the residential fridge and have a generator to begin with. Maybe done the road we can go to solar. Plus, I think we will like the larger fridge!

Latest resources

Back