RV Year
RV Make
rookwood
RV Model
8324SB
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
We have a new Rockwood 8324sb. We are having issues with the fridge staying cool enough for safety. It cools to 37 at night but goes up to low forties by end of day, this is summer, outside 80+ degrees but in shade. Two dealers have checked it out and found nothing wrong, but I am sure it shouldn't be getting that warm. Since it is cooling down to 37 at night I suspect a lack of insulation some where. One tech took out a piece of wood panel that he said was blocking the vent (this fridge is in a slide-out) behind the top plastic vent cover. He said that was the problem but its still doing the same thing. I can keep taking it back to dealerships but I am frustrated. We left it 2 weeks at one and a 10 days at another. One thing I see when looking inside the top opening is a lack of insulation on one side of the unit or at least I can't see any, its a very tight opening to see everything, where the other side has a lot of insulation packed in it. Any thoughts?

First question is where are you measuring the temperature? I was told the best these thing do is 36-38 degrees. When I had an RV refrigerator, I put an extra fan on the coils to help it cool.

In my residential refrigerator, the top inside reads 38.5 degrees F. However things on the top shelf are just short of freezing. This is on a cool day, 73*C. At 80-90 degrees it will go as high as 40-41*C, at the thermometer, but the food on the shelves is still plenty cold. The difference is that I still have a long way I can turn it up.

Another consideration is,where is the thermistor (the little slide thing on the coil on the top of the refrigerator)? It may slide down eventually from bouncing on the road. Get it up as high as you can to lower temps inside the refrigerator.

You may need to check the insulation (or lack thereof) around the fridge. Also make sure that the coils on the rear have good airflow. I have even heard of some installing a fan in the back to give more flow.

Another thing is the outside walls of the coach heat up from the sun during the day. They radiate the heat to the fridge coils and makes it harder for the fridge to cool. As Gronk said, an extra fan at the back may help? Me thinks?

Latest resources

Back