Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Front cap and windshield Bug removal-share best practices!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

VTPete

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Ford F150 King Ranch
Fulltimer
No
I know this has been discussed over the years, but after searching old threads here and there I wanted a fresh perspective.

I spend alot of time removing bugs from my front cap and windshield while traveling. Currently I use a bug remover solution and hand scrub with a hand scrubber pad. I then use Wash Wax All on the Diamondshield to finish, and windex on the glass. It's time consuming everytime we drive so looking to make this more efficient. I've read various threads recommending waxes, such as Rejex, F11, and RainX for the glass (can't do that due to the diamondshield right?). But I think to truly remove all the bug residue, elbow grease is still required. What is working for you all with a minimum of effort?

Currently I'm thinking I might get some more Wash Wax All bug scrubbers for my pole and use their process at: How to Remove Bugs using the Bug Scrubber.

Pressure washer to remove the big bits followed by elbow grease and water. I use a Scrub Daddy Hand sponge where needed, softening it up enough to give me the scrubbing action needed and then follow up with microfiber towels to lift the bug bits off and dry.

IMPORTANT! Only use the scrub daddy on areas covered by diamond shield and the glass. Scrub gently. If you’re fingernails are turning white from the pressure you’re applying, then you’re pressing too hard. Any where else and you’ll quickly know not to use it there.

The key I find is making it the first thing on my list after hookup. Wait longer and you’ll be out there for a while - or just hire someone to wash the coach.

I need to check with the detailer who does our coach in Polson. He sprays something on before starting to wash the coach and the bugs seem to just melt. Been meaning to ask him and will do so when we get there later this week.

TJ

I know this has been discussed over the years, but after searching old threads here and there I wanted a fresh perspective.

I spend alot of time removing bugs from my front cap and windshield while traveling. Currently I use a bug remover solution and hand scrub with a hand scrubber pad. I then use Wash Wax All on the Diamondshield to finish, and windex on the glass. It's time consuming everytime we drive so looking to make this more efficient. I've read various threads recommending waxes, such as Rejex, F11, and RainX for the glass (can't do that due to the diamondshield right?). But I think to truly remove all the bug residue, elbow grease is still required. What is working for you all with a minimum of effort?

Currently I'm thinking I might get some more Wash Wax All bug scrubbers for my pole and use their process at: How to Remove Bugs using the Bug Scrubber.

I usually pressure wash to get the worse. If really ambitious I use 00 steel wool, but this is work between the scrubbing and getting out the ladder. Might look into the Wash, Wax, All scrub and dry scrubber. I’ve used just the scrubber and it works fine. Just not too much pressure in the Diamond Shield or Dura Shield if you use it there.

I need to check with the detailer who does our coach in Polson. He sprays something on before starting to wash the coach and the bugs seem to just melt. Been meaning to ask him and will do so when we get there later this week.

TJ
Someone told me once to use PAM. I did not take their suggestion.

I use Wash & Wax with good microfiber cloth for bugs on the front. Usually takes about an hour depending on how bad. Worst I’ve seen is in North Dakota, took a little over an hour. Haven’t been to Florida and love bug city with this coach. I actually scratched the Diamond Shield on last coach so a little more cautious on this one.

Can you just spray it on, wait a minute or two and rinse the bugs off with a hose? That would be great at the end of a long day driving to do a quick cleanup on the windshield and front of the coach without any scrubbing.

TJ
That’s the nirvana I’m looking for

Latest resources

Back