Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Glolmaugh

RVF Newbee
I own a 2022 Admiral that shakes quite a bit thru the Front end. You can see the steering wheel shaking. I put Centramatic Wheel Balancers on but it didn’t help. The Gentleman at the Tire store told me the Goodyear 19.5 tires I have on there are very difficult to balance and i would see improvement if I went to a Better tire like Michelin tires. He said stick with what I have now and that’s what would be a better idea down the road. problem is I am planning on a long trip and dont want the shaking. Has anyone else had this problem? I am looking for suggestions? Thanks in advance

When I was a Chevy Service Manager, we delivered a 2 1/2 to Chevy truck that came with Goodyear tires. Same tires our motorhome tires are. It had a shimmy at hiway speeds. I had the tires spin balanced, added the sand bags, cleaned that out and added the bead bags. I got better, but not right. Customer was close to giving truck back. I went against GM and had a set of Michelins put on the front and fixed the problem.
You might put your tires on the rear and change brands for the front.

I bought a 2010 Bay Star a couple years ago with the original 2008 Goodyear 19.5 tires. Ride was good, no issues. So I replaced the 10 year old tires with the same Goodyears. And then I had the same shimmy and shake problem. This was after using road force balancing, rejected at least half a dozen tires, and even started swapping wheels to get them to balance. Still had to go back and reject another tire after driving for about a month. Moral or the story - Goodyear tires are inconsistent. Most might be ok, but enough of them are so far out of spec they can not be balanced and no add-on is going to fix that.

Sounds like balance isn't the problem but the tires are slightly out of round.

Sounds like balance isn't the problem but the tires are slightly out of round.
very likely. Goodyear quality control has apparently decreased in recent years.

I used to sell 2500-3000 International and Ford trucks a year that had 19.5" tires on them. We had lots of trouble. The vibration more than likely is the tire not seated on the bead correctly or the tire is out of round. Look for the band on the outside of the tire. Is it equal distance from the rim all the way around? If so, it's probably got a high spot on the tire. Most HEAVY TRUCK tire shops will be able to true the tire by shaving a few thousandths of rubber off the tire. You also need to go to someone that has a radial run-out gauge and knows how to use it. I think the maximum radial run-out that is acceptable is 40 thousanths. You might want to Google it to make sure. You'll never balance the problem away. You can balance till you're blue in the face and it won't get better. I switched from Goodyears to Michelins on all my trucks and had the same problems. The 19.5" tire is VERY hard to mount correctly for some reason. After Goodyear lost the sale of 18,000 tires a year, they got VERY INVOLVED with my tire issues and helped me figure out what was happening. They even took me to the tire/wheel mounting facility in Springfield OH. so I could check out their mounting proceedures and quality checks. I really know a lot more about this than I can write here. But stop wasting your time balancing the tires. It won't help. Neither does switching to Michelins or any other brand. All 19.5" tires have this problem. Good Luck!

My previous set of Toyo 19.5 tires got into a bit of shaking above 65mph (fortunately I extremely rarely drive that fast) but the new set is supersmooth.

My previous set of Toyo 19.5 tires got into a bit of shaking above 65mph (fortunately I extremely rarely drive that fast) but the new set is supersmooth.
What we saw was that with an out of round tire/wheel combo the shaking would start around 65-70 MPH and would then go away at about 80 MPH. Problem is it was hard to drive 80 MPH in an International or Ford F650. 65-70 was the norm. RIGHT WHERE the wobble was the worst!! :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back