Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jbraftery

RVF Newbee
Hello all. My wife and kids and I just started full time in a fifth wheel. It’s parked on family property with full hookups.

My post is more about some problems I’ve run into already. It’s my first trailer and I’m having a couple issues:
1- fridge (Atwood helium) won’t stay on. It’s level, has full propane. I turn on the power and it’s in auto mode and this flashes gas.
2- a section on the family room outlets aren’t working (furnace, tv, stereo). No breakers have tripped- could it be from something chewing through wiring? It’s hooked up to 220.
3- master bed lights are super dim after a few hours of use. Other lights are on and dim naturally but they are full power when they first turn on.

Appreciate any replies. May have an electrician come take a look to see if there are any interruptions but this is my first rv so I wanted to ask around first. Thanks in advance

Well, welcome to fulltiming! For your questions:
#1. The first thing I would do is go out to the back of the fridge and clean the burner and surrounding area. There is a possibility that there is some spider webs or something similar in the burner.
#2 That sounds a lot like a GFCI has tripped somewhere. Most all of the outlets are wired 'down stream' of a GFCI and if it trips then the whole string is dead.
#3 That sounds like a battery issue. Your converter shouldn't allow them to dim, but if the battery is failing, it will act like you are running out of power because you are.
What trailer do you have? Maybe someone has the same one and has specific answers.

Like Gronk said, most likely a gfci has tripped. Will be two in most cases. One in kitchen area the other in bath. As Gronk said they are daisy chained to other locations in the RV. Have you checked the power at the pedestal?

AC power failure will keep the converter from charging the battery. Also low voltage on 12v system will not allow the propane system to work on the fridge. Only an ac failure will keep the batteries from charging via the converter.

After working this through in my mind, check the 220ac outlet for power.

Like Gronk said, most likely a gfci has tripped. Will be two in most cases. One in kitchen area the other in bath. As Gronk said they are daisy chained to other locations in the RV. Have you checked the power at the pedestal?

AC power failure will keep the converter from charging the battery. Also low voltage on 12v system will not allow the propane system to work on the fridge. Only an ac failure will keep the batteries from charging via the converter.

After working this through in my mind, check the 220ac outlet for power.
Thanks for the info. I have a 2015 Grand View Design Reflection 323BHS

Check the GFCI in the bathroom. That's usually the one that controls most every one of them. Far as the dimming lights, use a volt meter and check the voltage at the battery terminals. You should see a minimum of about 13 volts when plugged in. Once the lights dim check the voltage again at the battery. It sounds a lot like your battery is not charging or has failed.

I'm also guessing a ground fault has tripped. I'm also curious about the "full hookups" on family property. Who installed the electrical RV 50amp plug? I would certainly be checking that to see exactly what you are getting out of it.

Silly question but, are you using an extension cord or any sort of converter to make the plug fit from your rv to shore power?

I had issues putting an adapter on my 30 Amp plug because the one I had was only 15 amps. Couldn't use the AC and fridge at the same time.

Latest resources

Back