DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
How far ahead are you having to make reservations in order to stay where you want? I’m planning a summer trip, and we seem to have a hard time with unforeseen events interfering with travel plans made far in advance. What is ground truth currently?

It's dependent on the time of year and where you go. We had to make reservations more than a week in advance I.E. summer time going to the Yellowstone area. (We don't typically travel in the winter.) Also we had to make it there by 5 or 6 PM. Kind of cuts down on the sight seeing. Other than off the main path and tourist traps, parks didn't need reservations at all. So, in short, be prepared to do overnight in parking lots unless you have your trip meticulously planned out. Didn't used to be that way for sure. Sorry I'm no help. just my experience.

Popular private campgrounds fill up quickly. Some take reservations, for the next year, as soon as they close, some six months to a year and a half in advance, some only a few months in advance. It also depends on how long you plan to stay. Many fill their weekends very early,so it is easier to stay during the week.

I had to cancel one last year due to death in the family. Life sometimes does not cooperate with very long term plans.

What @AbdRahim said. We are generally booked 3-4 months out and stay at most campgrounds for 2-3 weeks. As a full timer, you have to be open to sometimes not being able to stay where you want to stay in order to be where you want to be. We use state parks, Sun Resorts, Thousand Trails, CoE, RPI, private campgrounds and everything in between. The good thing about having a nice RV is that a so-so park in a great location still works well enough. We stay out of the shanty towns and really rundown places but not every CG is going to be Blue Water Key.

In the end, all we need is a hard surface, level-enough site in a place that doesn’t make us feel awkward or threatened. Usually, it’s more about the location than the CG itself for us.

After all, I didn’t spend all that money to get an RV just to sit around at an RV park.

Last edited:
How far ahead are you having to make reservations in order to stay where you want? I’m planning a summer trip, and we seem to have a hard time with unforeseen events interfering with travel plans made far in advance. What is ground truth currently?
We will be doing the same as you shortly. Please share info as you get it. I am prepared to book one year out I just want to know about the cancellation policies. I do know that in Lake Tahoe reservations are one year out to the date. And then sell out in a matter of minutes. When i stayed there thye literally give you first rights to reserve for the next year before doing it public.

Latest resources

Back