• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

twyman

RVF Newbee
Hello all,
I am new here but was hoping for some help with my furnace problem. My husband and I bought a 2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer with a Suburban SF-30 furnace to live in while renovating an old house. The furnace worked great thru last winter until closer to spring. It began to not re-start as the temperature cooled in the unit but it would start if you shut the thermostat off and back on again so we replaced the thermostat. That didnt really help and eventually the off/on trick didnt work anymore and it wouldnt start at all. But by then we were heading into warmer weather so we werent too concerned - we were sure we would be moved into the house by fall. Then we discovered the A/C in the main cabin wouldnt fire either but chalked that up to needing service. Since we only bought this to live in at our house, we dont have a truck capable of hauling it for service so we hooked up a portable A/C unit that we already had and lived comfortably (and quieter!). Now we are back in cold weather and the house is about a month out from being ready to move in - and the furnace still doesnt work. So, we tried the cheapest fix we could think of and got another thermostat - just in case. Nope, still doesnt work (but hey, the A/C starts now of all things!). So my husband changed out the circuit board, sail switch and limit switch. And - happy day - everything worked perfectly! For 2 days... Then it went back into the cycle of having to turn off/on the thermostat and, like before, that stopped working too. We are quite a trip for the mobile repair services in our area and they really arent thrilled to travel that far - if they even will so we are trying to figure this out ourselves. I've been told RV thermostats are "junk" and that its probably a design flaw but the first one worked for a long time and the other two were brand new. If this was indeed a flaw in their design I dont see why the first one lasting so long and the other 2 didnt work out of the box. There has to be something else. Has anyone experienced this issue before? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

When I had a similar problem, after "youtubing it", I tried cleaning out the exhaust pipe. Quite a bit of dirt, soot, etc. came out and the furnace worked well after that. Apparently there is a shut-off sensor (valve) designed to shut down if the exhaust system isn't clear. It's a cheap "try". Just give the inside of the furnace a good cleaning. JMHO

I was going to say sail switch but now I have to agree with Scooterfan. I have the same heater and it won't ignite if it thinks it is an unsafe condition. There was a wasps nest in mine!! There was also a ton of dog hair on the inside. Clean dust from the surfaces and make sure no hair got onto the new sail switch.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back