Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Hotspurs

RVF Newbee
My wife and I are about to be empty nesters and we decided to sell our house, get rid of a lot of our stuff and become full time RVers. It will be a huge shift for us but we are really excited about it.
We are looking at a Hideout 34FKDS trailer. This trailer is 38 feet long and weighs 8310 pounds. Any suggestions on the truck required to pull this? Ford F150 or 250? Chevy Silverado 1500 or 2500? Gas or diesel? Please keep in mind that we have never owned a trailer.

Welcome @Hotspurs to the forum. Sounds like exciting times as you enter the world of RVing. There are a number of threads reference tow vehicle selection. Do your research so that you can safely enjoy the travels. If you need guidance to the pertinent threads let us know.

Welcome to about the best RV forum around!

I'm guessing the majority of new RVers, especially new full timers, end up with either larger or heavier RVs after they have been on the road for a year or more. If it was me I would stay away from purchasing a half ton pickup even if it was rated to pull a fully loaded Hideout 34 model. If you decide in a year or so you want a 5th wheel for example that half ton will have to go.

Looks like the model you are considering has a place for a washer/dryer. A few things to consider when you start to match up your TV (tow vehicle) to what you will be towing. On our first full timing RV (used fiver) we added a washer/dryer and a automatic satellite dish on the roof, then after loading all of our personal property we ran across the CAT scales. We added over 3,000 pounds to the fiver. At the end of the first year we weighed again and had added another couple hundred pounds. So my point here is if that unit you are looking at weighs a little over 8,000 pounds you will probably need a TV that can tow at least 12,000 pounds.

Gas or diesel? Initial cost on a diesel will be much more of course. As far as operating expenses there are a lot of variables. Annual maintenance may be slightly higher with a diesel pickup, but you may get better mpg. You certainly will have more torque and towing ability. The price of diesel fuel has been higher in recent years than gas, but there are ways to get discounted diesel. A Pilot/Flying J card (Good Sams) will get you a 9 cents per gallon off at their stations. There is also a discount fuel card (EFS) that we use and depending on the truck stop we have received as much as 60 cents per gallon discount.

Besides deciding on a TV and RV, have you considered becoming residents of another State as full timers or are you sticking with your home state?

FL-JOE - thanks for the insight. I did some research and found that Florida is an RV friendly state. On top of that no state income tax. Our thought is to establish residency there.
Yes, the trailer has a washer/dryer. We thought we would need one since we would live in it full time.
We could always get a larger one so I will look at 250's and 2500's or bigger. Now I just need to figure out gas or diesel. Cost of diesel fuel may not outweigh the improved mileage you get with it on top of the increase in cost for maintenance. Again, thanks for the feedback.
Any other insights anyone has would be much appreciated.
Jason

We like our 1500 RAM. That said the 2500 may not be what I would look for in the RAM lineup. Then again I haven't looked at the 6 speed trans reports and consumer feedback. I know the 8 speed ZF trans is miles above anything else in a 1500 on the market. I am very mindful of tow capacities as you will see as you read past posts.

When we talk about brand though we are talking brand preference. My next choice would be GM for the Allison trans/diesel engine. My feeling is the trans is the weak link in a tow vehicle.

As for engine, Economy setups are a bad choice for towing. Small engines don't have the braking power of large engines, and nothing compares to diesel for brake power. be mindful that any repair (not necessarily maintenance) is more costly on diesel.

Although Saundra wants more space. She accepts my logic on this issue and we go smaller, small enough to have ample power and braking with a 1500 PU. There are no 6 cylinder options that I would even consider mostly because of braking power so 8 cylinder is the smallest I will go with gas engine. I don't like following a rig with a diesel engine so don't want to subject others to what I don't like. I would not blame you for making that choice but I wouldn't.

The best advice I ever received was to not turn back for at least a year. It takes a year to adjust to any new life style so give it a good chance.

One more bit of advice. If you think tow insurance will get you in with a long trailer, think again, contact your tow insurance and find your limits and get the insurance that covers you future plans.

Latest resources

Back