Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I'm two days into my trip and new with the Garmin RV 890 coming from the 770 LMT. Absolutely loving this RV GPS. Larger screen is outstanding but it provides a much better presentation of your trip and terrain for awareness of where you are relative to terrain. The presentation of approaching the campground is much better. Make sure to have your volume full up. Directions have been solid. The Garmin RV 890 integrates with a different app from the 770 called Garmin Drive and works MUCH better for traffic and other integrations, smart notifications, etc. I am using the provided window mount but tonight I finally got it settled into the RAM mount I was using for my iPad Mini and a USB cable for charging.

I need to review the manual yet to maximize usage of the device which is on the to-do list for tonight.

I've really come to enjoy using WAZE for my non RV navigation. As a I have a Pioneer AVIC-8200 for my dash radio having replaced the Clarion heap of dung it has Apple Car Play which makes things even better for WAZE integration into my driving routine now. I use the Garmin 890 for navigation and my iPhone 12 is connected to the dash radio via Car Play with WAZE called up. Not really necessary, you could just have your phone with WAZE running as long as you can hear it or use bluetooth to connect to your dash radio to hear the audibles.

WAZE provides great awareness that really helps as a RVer. It will tell you about 1/2 mile prior to vehicles pulled over on the side so with move over laws you can work your lane change far in advance. WAZE has also provided me a fog warning approaching Afton mountain in VA which was spot in. It will warn of objects in the road ahead which are extremely hazardous to RV's as I did quite a bit of damage on my first trip out hitting some road trash. It will tell you where the po po is, construction warnings, you name it. It's a great awareness tool so now I'm using it along side the RV GPS.

So again, could not recommend higher the upgrade to the newest Garmin RV GPS - 890.

I'm two days into my trip and new with the Garmin RV 890 coming from the 770 LMT. Absolutely loving this RV GPS. Larger screen is outstanding but it provides a much better presentation of your trip and terrain for awareness of where you are relative to terrain. The presentation of approaching the campground is much better. Make sure to have your volume full up. Directions have been solid. The Garmin RV 890 integrates with a different app from the 770 called Garmin Drive and works MUCH better for traffic and other integrations, smart notifications, etc. I am using the provided window mount but tonight I finally got it settled into the RAM mount I was using for my iPad Mini and a USB cable for charging.

I need to review the manual yet to maximize usage of the device which is on the to-do list for tonight.

I've really come to enjoy using WAZE for my non RV navigation. As a I have a Pioneer AVIC-8200 for my dash radio having replaced the Clarion heap of dung it has Apple Car Play which makes things even better for WAZE integration into my driving routine now. I use the Garmin 890 for navigation and my iPhone 12 is connected to the dash radio via Car Play with WAZE called up. Not really necessary, you could just have your phone with WAZE running as long as you can hear it or use bluetooth to connect to your dash radio to hear the audibles.

WAZE provides great awareness that really helps as a RVer. It will tell you about 1/2 mile prior to vehicles pulled over on the side so with move over laws you can work your lane change far in advance. WAZE has also provided me a fog warning approaching Afton mountain in VA which was spot in. It will warn of objects in the road ahead which are extremely hazardous to RV's as I did quite a bit of damage on my first trip out hitting some road trash. It will tell you where the po po is, construction warnings, you name it. It's a great awareness tool so now I'm using it along side the RV GPS.

So again, could not recommend higher the upgrade to the newest Garmin RV GPS - 890.
Famous last words: "I love my 770 LMT and have no plans to replace it."

So, @Neal, the RV890 is a step up from the RV770LMT...right? I heard that somewhere. :ROFLMAO:

Safe travels.

TJ

Listen Mr. Enabler. You've cost a lot of people money 'round'here :)

Listen Mr. Enabler. You've cost a lot of people money 'round'here :)
Not me; I didn't do anything of the sort. It was a birthday gift from LadyDi, remember? Just saying.

One of our granddaughters is an EMT in Austin; you'll be safe there.

TJ

Don’t worry Lady Di I got your back while these youngsters argue in the rv gps sandbox. ?

I've been using the included window suction mount for the first two days but that presented a problem. As I open the window it would hit the USB plug on the left side and would bend it. I imagine I could flip the device over, not sure if orientation is important, haven't tried. But I prefer to use a RAM mount on the dash using an adhesive ball as I used with the Garmin 770. I used the RAM Mount from my iPad Mini (X-Grip large or whatever it is) but discovered a problem with the Garmin RV 890. If you don't use the included mount (magnetic) it knows this and will sleep the device after a period of time if you don't interact with the screen. You can find this setting in the Display / Sleep area. I set it to 30 minutes. Due to my Garmin Drive app forwarding device notifications I will typically have interacted with the screen but twice it went to sleep on me. You have to press the button on the side to wake it again and then it has to recalc the trip, etc. I really would have hoped Garmin would have put a "never" option in this menu. I'm plugged in via USB so it's charging but regardless, if no magnetic mount it will sleep on you.

Not sure I understand, @Neal. We are using the included Garmin magnetic mount with 1" ball coupled to a Ram ball mount and a modified Garmin GPS Dash Mount...

...and, our RV 890 does not "go to sleep." A 1" Ram ball mount with flange...

...is epoxied to the dash mount. You can also use a suction cup with the dash mount, but I don't trust them.

Why are you not wanting to use the magnetic mount? Garmin as made provision for, and has even included, the 1" ball to go on the back of the magnetic mount. We find it very convenient to simply pull the 890 off the magnetic mount when we want to do some programming or updates. Nothing to unplug/disconnect.

What am I missing?

TJ

Last edited:
Here are a couple of photos of how ours is set up.

718FCF89-F2A0-4C54-B378-C4CB18F0DF00.jpeg

CAD36CF4-8B22-43CC-8071-4E01BB55A3A2.jpeg

927D2081-188C-4237-BF79-4D7A572B2757.jpeg

And, no...that's not a scratch on the screen; just a reflection. The 890 is currently in my office, hence the carpet background instead of the MADP dash.

TJ

What am I missing?

TJ
Nothing that I can see. The mag mount is GREAT! It's nice to be able to snatch the GPS off the mount, make whatever adjustments are necessary, and then snap it back on so simply.

Thanks @TJ&LadyDi - I’ll relook at the mount options.

Latest resources

Back