Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
This morning before departure I got a notification on my iPhone via the Garmin Drive app that there were updates for the RV 890. I had time and a good Internet connection so why not. Both firmware and map updates available. I then departed for the next CG and the GPS was stuck in Calculating mode and constantly trying to recalc. I figured maybe bad GPS signal or interference. I put the route in Waze in my phone which is connected to the dash radio via Apple CarPlay and used that but it doesn't have coach params so I was nervous about using it. I power cycled the GPS multiple times with no luck, it had no clue where it was and was operating horrendously. During my 1:30 drive I tried a couple more update checks and it continued to show an 80 MB update for POI data. It never seemed to update, I figured something in the map data is kaput.

I decided to connect the GPS to my PC and use Garmin Express to update it and sure enough there is a 1.5 GB map update available, hmm, why wasn't that showing via the Wi-Fi updater? So you may want to download and install Garmin Express and connect your Garmin RV GPS to it and see what it shows for updates. I'll know Sunday morning during the next drive if it works or not.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I didn't bring a laptop so Id be stuck if I did this. Today Im in the Geneseo Campground and typical Google maps directions take you under a RR bridge with 10’ clearance. I saw it from the other side and its ugly. Having had my share of ugly on this trip, I really don’t need or want more.

I am sure you know this but if there is not enough room on the Garmin, it erases the old map to put in the new. If anything goes wrong in the process the Garmin is left with no map. This happened with my old Garmin Nuvi. It turned out that the new map could not even fit with the old removed. Result - I was left with a useless paperweight.

There is I believe something bad with the update that showed available today. Normally Wi-Fi updates work fine and I never do anything else. Something went bad with today's update. I'd wait a week before checking for updates.

Even after updating with Garmin Express it was stuck in never ending "updating" mode, I probably could have waited longer but I power cycled it. It shows updated now and seems fine.

Sometimes Garmin's update website is very, very, very dead slow. I've had Express take literally days for a map update but it finally did it. Sounds like the update has an "undocumented feature" similar to an "unplanned disassembly" though.

Just had an updated map today, seems there are weekly updates.

Forgot to follow up: The next drive after using the Garmin Express app to update the device worked fine.

Latest resources

Back