Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
450HP Cummins
TOW/TOAD
Chevy Equinox
Fulltimer
No
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 3717 on a Frieghtliner with 450HP Cummins. Tank was approximately 3/4 full. Erroneously wife pumped approximately 6 gallons of gas in the 100-gallon diesel tank. I topped it off the remainder with diesel and drove it approximately 10 miles home with no issues. Will the 94/6 diesel to gas ration be ok to continue to drive or will I have issues? If so, what can I expect to see? Remedy? Approximate cost? Thank you!

2019 Newmar Dutch Star 3717 on a Frieghtliner with 450HP Cummins. Tank was approximately 3/4 full. Erroneously wife pumped approximately 6 gallons of gas in the 100-gallon diesel tank. I topped it off the remainder with diesel and drove it approximately 10 miles home with no issues. Will the 94/6 diesel to gas ration be ok to continue to drive or will I have issues? If so, what can I expect to see? Remedy? Approximate cost? Thank you!
Lord, I don't know! But I sure wouldn't allow the mistake to continue. Syphon it out and get some clean diesel moving around in there.

Please don’t run that Cummins any further until you dump all of that fuel and purge the lines. 6% gas will have a significant affect on the combustion of the remaining diesel.

There is nothing to be gained and everything to be lost with continuing to run a diesel with even a little gasoline in the tank. The cost for loss of fuel will pale in comparison to even the slightest service call, and damage, to your Cummins.

The good news is there are farmers willing to take your fuel...the bad news is you should give it all to them because the newer fuel injection systems can be damaged. If I was running an old CAT3208N/A (say 60's-70's) I would try and dilute the fuel at every opportunity, but I would run it through. But not these newer systems...It's not worth the chance of an issue. Good luck. Blessings

Pour a couple quarts of two stroke oil in the full tank and you should be fine.
🤣 and I was going to say add a couple gallons of veggie oil and turn it into a veggie burner. That would be the quick way to increase the cetane level and call it a day. But I don't stand to lose anything one way or the other. 🤔

I have ran up to 25% gasoline in older diesels. Mercedes Benz did recommended 20% gasoline be added to the tank in colder climates. Mercedes was told to remove the information in the owners manual. The Environmental Protection Agency was not sure it would burn clean enough. Not sure about your newer rig. Sremle does not think 6% will make any difference.

Older diesels need two stroke or some other lubricant, at least a quart in 50 gallons for lubricating the injection pump.

Please let us know what you decide.

Call Cummins and ask them what 6% gas in the fuel would do to your ISL.

From what I've read, not a Chemist, the Gasoline will separate from the Diesel (lighter fluid). This can be the issue. You don't get a nice blend but pockets of Gasoline, which can be bad news for your very expensive diesel system. It may be that the Gasoline is floating at the top of your the fuel in your tank just waiting to be a problem, at the worst possible moment of course.

Hope you figure it out successfully.

If it were me, I'd drain the tank completely, then flush with some fresh diesel just to be sure. BUT that is just the way I'd do it (paranoid)

Good luck..

Latest resources

Back