Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

M&M Bend

RVF Newbee
We’ve been RVing for about 8 years in our Jayco Redhawk with a Ford E450 Chassis. We are getting ready to purchase something else. Our son who is a diesel mechanic says there are a lot of problems with the newer Diesel engines and recommended that we stick with a gas engine. Just wondering what the thoughts are amongst the RV community.

There are problems with the newer diesels. My preference is gas for my 8800# TT and heavily loaded truck. If I were towing really heavy I would get the diesel. Add in the 10K upcharge for the diesel over gas and added maintenance and I could not justify the difference over the gas. Keep in mind that everyone's wants and needs are different.

I towed for years with a diesel and I believe diesel is the best for towing. We own a Class C on an E 450 chassis and are enjoying it. I guess the biggest concern about diesels today is the DEF.

It depends on your needs, desires, and financial situation. Sure, diesel is more expensive to buy, maintain, and repair than gasers but the trade-off for me is easily justified. I want a big motorhome, one that rides smooth, handles well driving in high winds, has a good towing capacity, enough torque to climb steep grades, and is quiet enough to have a conversation between passenger and driver. My Newmar 44 footer with a tag axle is a dream to drive compared to the gassers I've driven. Good luck with whichever decision you make.

There are problems with the newer diesels. My preference is gas for my 8800# TT and heavily loaded truck. If I were towing really heavy I would get the diesel. Add in the 10K upcharge for the diesel over gas and added maintenance and I could not justify the difference over the gas. Keep in mind that everyone's wants and needs are different.
What years are you referring to when you say newer years? I looking to get a 3/4 ton truck to pull a 30 foot trailer. I don’t know if GMC, Ford or Ram is best and between gas or diesel.
Thanks

Welcome. I towed for a lot of years TT and fifth wheel. I prefer diesel to tow. I believe the problems with the newer diesel engines is the DEF. I am no expert. Do your research, if you know someone at a dealership, ask questions on how many are coming to the shop for repair. Good luck

We’ve been RVing for about 8 years in our Jayco Redhawk with a Ford E450 Chassis. We are getting ready to purchase something else. Our son who is a diesel mechanic says there are a lot of problems with the newer Diesel engines and recommended that we stick with a gas engine. Just wondering what the thoughts are amongst the RV community.
Been towing large 5ers for a few years with f250 diesel and won’t even think about gas for the job. HOWEVER, the problems with the late model diesels is the fuel system. All big 3 started using a cp4 high pressure fuel pump around 2017 and it has been a disaster. It does not tolerate the low sulpher (lubricating agent) diesel that the USA requires. Before they used the cp3 which is bigger/heavier and no issue. When the pump fails it sends pieces of metal throughout the fuel system requiring a complete $10 k repair and mostly Ford always blames water or contaminated fuel as the cause and will not warranty the repair!! Dodge and GM have slowly acknowledged their mistake and has helped with some repairs and believe (cannot guarantee this) they have stopped using the cp4 for last couple of model years. I know this is true because I am on my 3rd pump/fuel sys. Ford dealer tried to tell me I had another failure of the cp4, but refusing their diagnosis towed to independent shop and had bad lift pump, which cost me $1500 out of pocket For what should have been warranty. If you decide to go diesel, whether new or used, make damn sure the truck doesn’t have the cp4 fuel pump.

Welcome. I towed for a lot of years TT and fifth wheel. I prefer diesel to tow. I believe the problems with the newer diesel engines is the DEF. I am no expert. Do your research, if you know someone at a dealership, ask questions on how many are coming to the shop for repair. Good luck
Thank you for replying. I will start doing research and that is a good suggestion about the dealership.

Been towing large 5ers for a few years with f250 diesel and won’t even think about gas for the job. HOWEVER, the problems with the late model diesels is the fuel system. All big 3 started using a cp4 high pressure fuel pump around 2017 and it has been a disaster. It does not tolerate the low sulpher (lubricating agent) diesel that the USA requires. Before they used the cp3 which is bigger/heavier and no issue. When the pump fails it sends pieces of metal throughout the fuel system requiring a complete $10 k repair and mostly Ford always blames water or contaminated fuel as the cause and will not warranty the repair!! Dodge and GM have slowly acknowledged their mistake and has helped with some repairs and believe (cannot guarantee this) they have stopped using the cp4 for last couple of model years. I know this is true because I am on my 3rd pump/fuel sys. Ford dealer tried to tell me I had another failure of the cp4, but refusing their diagnosis towed to independent shop and had bad lift pump, which cost me $1500 out of pocket For what should have been warranty. If you decide to go diesel, whether new or used, make damn sure the truck doesn’t have the cp4 fuel pump.
Thanks for replying. I will definitely look into the fuel pump problem.

It depends on your needs, desires, and financial situation. Sure, diesel is more expensive to buy, maintain, and repair than gasers but the trade-off for me is easily justified. I want a big motorhome, one that rides smooth, handles well driving in high winds, has a good towing capacity, enough torque to climb steep grades, and is quiet enough to have a conversation between passenger and driver. My Newmar 44 footer with a tag axle is a dream to drive compared to the gassers I've driven. Good luck with whichever decision you make.
This really says it best when deciding between gas or diesel. We have been full time for awhile now and have experience with both.

First of all, since any RV with a diesel engine is more expensive I think you have to justify that. How many miles do you put on the RV in a year? How much of your RVing is pulling steep grades?

Latest resources

Back