Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jkvectors

RVF Regular
I have a 2021 Flair 29m we itch dual a/c On generator power (5500w) the front a/c works BUT not the back bedroom a/c.
Also the kitchen microwave and outdoor microwave as well as some outlets do not have power. I have tried the reset button on the inverter in the storage well. Does not help.
On 50 amp hookup- everything works…
Any suggestions please.
Thank you

Check the breakers on the generator. There should be two 30 amp breakers. One might have tripped.

Keep in mind if you have 2 A/C units on you MUST have 50amp to run them. That's why they ran OK with the 50 AMP shore power but wouldn't run on your generator with one breaker tripped.

Good catch AbdRahim!!

Keep in mind if you have 2 A/C units on you MUST have 50amp to run them. That's why they ran OK with the 50 AMP shore power but wouldn't run on your generator with one breaker tripped.

Good catch AbdRahim!!
Thanks. So if I’m at a RV site with 30 amp, I could/ should run one unit only? Can I run either, or is 30 amp specific to one?
Thanks

Yes. You can run one A/C unit on 30 amps. Pick whichever one you want and fire it up. Occasionally you might be able to get the second one started but most of the time you'll kick the breaker trying to start it. This is why some people buy the "soft start" kit for the A/C units. It keeps them from spiking the amps during the start so they can get by on 30 amps to run both A/C units. Without the soft start kit it's nearly impossible to start that second one without kicking the breaker on 30 amps. For safety, just make sure the RV park has 50 amps available. I always use my trusty Hughes Autoformer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXL9YJV/?tag=rvf01-20 This box will tell you if the pedestal is wired correctly at the campground. It will boost low voltage. And will protect your wiring and appliances in your RV if there is a voltage spike. It's good insurance.

Hope this helps!

Also, keep in mind for future reference, if you have the Onan 5500;
5500 watts/120 volts = 45.8 amps, not a full 50.

Latest resources

Back