Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL450
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
On a Newmar diesel coach, with a Freightliner Chassis and a 100gal fuel tank, can someone give me a real world answer as to the exact generator fuel cutoff point? Ie how many gallons are left in the tank when the generator shuts down for lack of fuel. And no, I haven’t run it out to see but I bet some have.

1/4 tank is the answer but it would depend on where the feed tube is located, if you're level or not, etc. Also the accuracy of your fuel gauge which is the biggest of the problems. I've been down to 1/4 and it kept running but that's the accuracy issue. I verified with FL that in fact the feed tube is designed this way as some others have stated they doubted this and you'd run dry. I trust that it's designed for 25% of the tank level.

My 2008 freightliner with 100 gal tank was a Fleetwood. It would cut off at 1/4 tank.

Both of my Dutch stars with 150gal tank will suck the tank dry.

I once added 134 gallons and the generator was still running.

My question is if your generator runs dry will you have to bleed the injectors or not? I know things have changed after my 83 sail boat was made but whats the deal today?

Myself and one other owner of 2019 Ventana 3407 have the most accurate fuel gouge in existence, if it's down 1/2, I take within 50 gallons +-1-2. I have never run the tank below 1/2 empty so have now answer. On my previous coach, it would quit at below 1/2, but above 1/4 of a tank, found out the hard way, in cold temps. I never run tank below 1/2, and always fill up prior to laying over for the evening unless it is above 1/2 tank and know we are stopping for period next day. Then wait so going into long layover tank is full.

Latest resources

Back