Dutch Star
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ram
Fulltimer
Yes
Pulled the generator hood release and it pulled extremely easy. Hood did not release.
Crawling under the coach, and blindly searching by hand, I found the end of the cable.
Anyone have a suggestion on how to release the hood catch?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I don’t know what rig you have. On my BayStar, one has to give the hood release handle a quick and firm yank. If one just pulls, it takes enormous force to get the catch to release.
Hope that helps.

Crawl back under the coach, grab the cable close to the latch and pull downward. The hood will unlatch. Then re align/tighten the cable.

I found the end of the cable. It came out of the latch assembly.
I should have made that clear in my first post.
Thanks for your replies.

To make this clear. The hood is still latched. The end of the cable that attaches to the latch is not connected. Trying to figure out how to get to the latch while hood is closed and latched.
This is not resolved

OK. I loosened the jam nut of the long bolt that the latch clamps around. Then continued to loosen the bolt until the lower nut came completely loose. I released the generator slide. I raised the hood as I pulled out the generator and the long bolt slid out of the hole in the generator slide and the hood opened.
Now I have to attach the cable to the latch, install and adjust the latch bolt.
All is good and the problem is resolved.

Often release cables come with terminal stops attached to one end. Most likely yours did. Occasionally they break off. Only fix is a replacement cable (not too expensive as you can buy generic if you want). Kinda like a bicycle brake cable. Should be an easy replacement. In the meantime, you should be able to open latch manually if you can get to it from underneath. Good luck, and remember..."it's always something" 😉

This must be a very old problem. My 2000 DS is a bear to open. I may look into added a electric solenoid and a spring to push it out a bit when it unlatches. It gets old very fast pulling the handle and going outside to find that it did not release, or go to open the hood, it slips and latches.

This must be a very old problem. My 2000 DS is a bear to open. I may look into added a electric solenoid and a spring to push it out a bit when it unlatches. It gets old very fast pulling the handle and going outside to find that it did not release, or go to open the hood, it slips and latches.
The cable end was still attached. I've always had to tug on cable handle. The end is just a joggle. When I re-installed it, I added a small zip tie to secure it.
After adding dry lube to the cable, it works a little better.

Latest resources

Back