• Friendliest RV community on the web

FlyNavy

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Rockwood
RV Model
A 122 ESP
I just purchased a used Rockwood A122 ESP (Pop Up) and would like options on what small gas generators you would recommend for occasional boon docking? Would a 2000 watt unit suffice or should I go with a larger 2200? Any brands that you recommend for someone on a budget?
Thanks,
John L

Welcome to RVForums.com @FlyNavy. What is your battery configuration and any other info on the electrical setup? I think a nice small quiet generator would work well, I see them at campgrounds often. Just make sure they meet your power demands.

I currently have a single 12 volt battery. I would potentially power a small microwave, Herat pump, water heater, and possibly A/C.

I currently have a single 12 volt battery. I would potentially power a small microwave, Herat pump, water heater, and possibly A/C.
Welcome to RVF @FlyNavy; glad to have you aboard.

As for the generator question, you will need to carefully manage your power use, even with the 2200W generator. Not all of those items will be able to run at the same time. In fact, I doubt that you will even be able to run the heat pump or AC at all. Each one will probably require 25A starting current at 120V. That's 3000W! A water heater will probably need 2000W by itself.

Charging a 12V battery would be no problem and running a small microwave would probably be doable with either the 2000W or 2200W generator. The difference between the two is only 10%. So, if you are careful to just run one item at a time (excluding the heat pump and AC), you can probably manage.

TJ

Welcome. I like the Hondas. The 2000 serries are light and compact. You can hook two together and that would run the A/C. RV's = managed power. You can not run more amps than you have coming in.

Here is a list of commonly used household items and what it takes to run them. A portable AC that cools about 700 sq/ft. Is about 1200+ watts. Microwave about 1000 watts coffee pot about 900 watts. Those are 3 major items you could possibly Run at the same time which would be about 3200 watts. Then for a safety factor I doubled it or close to it. 4800-6000 watts I’m thinking??

Install a Micro-Air easy start on your airconditioner and you will be able to start it with a 2200 watt generator. You will not be able to use the microwave at the same time, as it will be consuming close to 90% of the generator capacity, and at alitude, it may not even work with the MicroAir easy start.

Latest resources

Back