Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CaptainGizmo

RVF Expert
SoCal...relax, we're one of the good ones! ;-)
RV Year
RV Make
Newell
RV Model
2020P
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Ford F-150 Raptor w/AF1 Braking
Fulltimer
No
Ok, I've let some time go by before I posted this. As you can imagine, my shock and anger would have led me to say things I shouldn't...at least not publicly here. Nonetheless, I'm pretty disappointed and angry at such a bad mistake on Newmar's behalf.

I took our '19 DS 4369 down to Girard for adjustment and minor fixing for some arm pivot screws that fell out. In the process of adjustment, they couldn't get the middle arm to the right level; it sagged below the two outter arms. Upon their inspection, THEY FOUND THAT THE MIDDLE BRACKET WAS MOUNTED IN THE WRONG LOCATION!!! Each bracket MUST BE DIRECTLY BEHIND EACH ARM!!

My forward awning has a center mount that is about 2 feet off. This causes the entire housing to warp when the awning is extended, since there is no support behind the center arm. The rear awning's center bracket is also incorrect, although not as bad.

The center mounts DO NOT GO IN DEAD CENTER, but instead, are forward of center since that arm has to have clearance from the rear arm when they retract. This is specifically noted in their installation guide, along with the statement that any deviation will void the Warranty. Girard even makes it simple by placing a round sticker that is labeled "ARM" on the back side of the housing.

The repair turns my gut upside-down. Since there needs to be a reinforcement plate under the roof, we will most likely have to cut the roof open where the bracket is SUPPOSED to go. Otherwise, we chance just running screws into the very thin fiberglass and "balsa-wood" underlayment.

According to Girard, this isn't the first time it's happened and, in fact, the next day, someone came down with a Ventana with the same problem.

Newmar is going to pick up the tab on the repairs, obviously, but how this could happen is a baffling.

I'm posting this to HELP OTHERS, not as a bashing session on Newmar. Not fixing this will cause issues in the future for you. Also check your screws; most of mine were loose and a couple were stripped, which is causing the plates to lift up and even tear the Dicor. Make sure you extend the awning when you check for this issue.

Attachments

• Awning - 1 of 15.jpeg
    Awning - 1 of 15.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 207
  • Awning - 2 of 15.jpeg
    Awning - 2 of 15.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 211
  • Awning - 6 of 15.jpeg
    Awning - 6 of 15.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 206
  • Awning - 11 of 15.jpeg
    Awning - 11 of 15.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 208
Holy smoke! I wonder how many came off the line with that issue.

Has anyone asked Girard if/when they go to Q/A the installs at factories installing their products? When is the last time Girard was at Newmar to spot check installations? It seems to me they may not be helping the customers in the end if they are not keeping their installations on the proper path and maybe need to go do installation seminars at the factories annually or something along that line. People in factories turnover and it sounds like they are not being properly trained. I'm going to pass this buck back to Girard but I of course have zero knowledge of the scenario but it's my hunch.

Has anyone asked Girard if/when they go to Q/A the installs at factories installing their products? When is the last time Girard was at Newmar to spot check installations? It seems to me they may not be helping the customers in the end if they are not keeping their installations on the proper path and maybe need to go do installation seminars at the factories annually or something along that line. People in factories turnover and it sounds like they are not being properly trained. I'm going to pass this buck back to Girard but I of course have zero knowledge of the scenario but it's my hunch.
Yes, we talked about it, Neal. Your suggestions are good ones.

I think we can draw a conclusion by the mere fact that there are more than a few with the problem. So, IF, they've visited...it's obviously not enough.

I don't really think Girard has a steak on the grill on this issue. They've got themselves covered; if it's not installed correctly and the awning has a problem, it's Newmar's problem to deal with...Girard washes their hands. They did mention, however, that they've "told" Newmar about it.

As we get closer and closer to going FT and ordering a DS, I'm getting more and more concerned with the issues I see popping up here and on the other board; windows that are falling off, etc. ?

I will also add: this makes factory pickup all that more important. This is one more thing to put on the list. Get on the roof and inspect and look for this. This is crazy!

Really sorry you had to get this repair done and hopefully it will be done properly and not cause any other problems for you. I think what Neal said is probably correct; lots of newbies on their lines and lack of training. Very bad on Newmar though. They are ultimately responsible.

Thanks for the heads up, checked and we are good. Sorry you have to go thru having yours fixed.

Mine is in the center..but no damage on the roof...yet.

I have sent an email to Newmar alerting them that I have a problem. It is very easy to tell that both the front and rear awnings do not have a support behind the center arm, but rather 2 feet towards the rear.

Last edited:
Mine is in the center..but no damage on the roof...yet.

I have sent an email to Newmar alerting them that I have a problem. It is very easy to tell that both the front and rear awnings do not have a support behind the center arm, but rather 2 feet towards the rear.
Shoot Ronnie...sorry you’ve been infected too!

Extend your awnings and you WILL see the housing warp as the arm has no support behind it.

Don’t see this as a Girard issue, it’s a Newmar issue. Newmar builds the coach. It’s their responsibility to install each and every product in that coach in a manner that does not void the warranty of said product. What if they’d hooked your microwave up to your refrigerator waterline. Is that a Whirlpool or GE issue? Nope.

we have a phrase for this in software development circles, it’s pretty simple.

READ THE DOCS​

Guess I know where I’ll be tomorrow - on the roof!

Latest resources

Back