Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ilovemaui

RVF Regular
I just purchased a 2019 24v with the tiny 6” monitor. I’d like to update to something larger with RV gps and Carplay. Looking for suggestions.
Thanks.

My preference would be in dash. Replace the existing with a little larger and more functional unit. I recently replaced the head unit in my Porsche 911 with a little larger unit that includes wireless Carplay. The head unit fit in the same slot. Searching online for a radio that fits a Porsche seems to be a little easier than an RV.

I may have just found s solution. I think I’ll install an Alpine iLX F411. It has an 11” screen with Carplay.

Most RVs use the double-DIN size in-dash. The trick will be finding one with RV-specific capabilities. The Kenwood DNX-775RVS is a double-DIN, in-dash unit with a 6.9” touch screen and RV capability. It has RV GPS guidance capability, but runs about $1,500; pretty steep for a 0.9 screen size increase.

A far simpler solution is a standalone GPS like the Garmin RV 890 (8” screen) or RV 1090 (10” screen) at about a third the cost of the Kenwood.

I don’t believe the Alpine unit you reference has RV GPS capability (setting height, width, length, weight, etc.); just auto guidance. If that is not important to you, then the Alpine may be sufficient for your purposes.

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back