Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ericbev

RVF Newbee
Hello - I am looking for a large screen (maybe a tablet) to use strictly as a GPS in my new RV - I prefer Google Maps to navigate. I have a Verizon account so I can get a signal at all times (hopefully). The Jayco comes with a terrible system and I really would find it difficult to replace all the functions it has - GPS, Bluetooth, Radio, CD, Back up camera, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for a system(I pad or something similar) that I can mount on my dashboard (need recommendation for mount as well)?

I can’t advise on a tablet, but when it comes to mounts, this is the place:

My configuration consists of a small iPad Mini 9” which is RAM suction mounted to the passenger side window. This is for my wife to use with one of several navigation apps; whether it’s WAZE, GoogleMaps, or Apple Maps.

Remember that there ARE apps that allow you to download maps to be used offline, for when cellular data is unavailable.

RAM mounts are fine. I’ve found using the short arm the best. Since the iPad is heavy, using a long arm will slip on the rubber ball, no matter how hard you tighten it. But, they are about a third of the cost of the aviation solutions.

One of the failings of Google Maps is that it routing is for a passenger car and not a RV. Don't get me wrong we love Google Maps and use it on a tablet every time we travel but we have a Garmin RV GPS as our primary source. It does a very good job of keeping us off roads a RV shouldn't be on in the first place.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a Sony XAV-AX7000 - I hope it will work well - just hated the SOUNDSTREAM system that came with my Jayco Alante

If you use an iPad for navigation, make sure it has GPS capability! Generally, only the iPads with cellular data capability have GPS built-in. The WiFi only iPad does not have GPS installed and must use a Wifi connection to operate Google Maps. Just saying from personal experience.....

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but if you have a WiFi only model iPad you can buy a garmin glo to have gps capability. my new iPad is gps enabled but I used the garmin glo on my old iPad as a chartplotter for the boat. garmin glo is around $100. I now upgraded to the 2020 iPad Air with the gps function So it’s no longer really needed For me. Lots of people that transit the great loop have told me that’s all they use for navigation.

With any “mobile” device like an iPad, in order to have GPS mapping, it must be able to obtain those maps somehow; aka, the internet. With maps such as Apple and Google, those maps CANNOT be entirely downloaded for “offline” use.

So, not knowing WHAT mapping software you intend to use, I can tell you that you’ll most likely need to have a constant internet connection. Therefore, a WIFI ONLY iPad must be connected via some type of source such as a mobile router (PepWave) or hotspot.

HTH

With any “mobile” device like an iPad, in order to have GPS mapping, it must be able to obtain those maps somehow; aka, the internet. With maps such as Apple and Google, those maps CANNOT be entirely downloaded for “offline” use.

So, not knowing WHAT mapping software you intend to use, I can tell you that you’ll most likely need to have a constant internet connection. Therefore, a WIFI ONLY iPad must be connected via some type of source such as a mobile router (PepWave) or hotspot.

HTH
And, you will NOT always have an internet connection while driving; there are always dead spots!

The best solution,,,and, the cheapest in the long run...IMHO is to buy a dedicated, RV-specific GPS like the Garmin RV 890 or the new Garmin 1090 if you need a bigger 10“ screen. And, even they will hit a satellite dead spot once-in-a-while. Passenger-car maps and tracking just don’t get it with larger vehicles like motorhomes, 5th wheel trailers, large travel trailers, etc. unless you enjoy turning around a lot, and on very narrow roads. :rolleyes:

TJ

Last edited:
Good truck apps to keep you on safe routes usually require an annual subscription. I do not subscribe to software, so I ended up with a Garmin760 truck GPS. Car gps's and apps have gotten me in trouble- taking me places where an RV cannot go.

Latest resources

Back