• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

billybaroo

RVF Newbee
Hey There!

My new job allows me to work Remotely. Thus, I'd like to work across the US.

To see if the RV life is for me, I will be renting and then eventually purchasing an RV. I will be traveling solo, but I do want an RV large enough to think in :) Ideally, I'd like a second room that I can turn into an office.

To rent Travel Trailers, I'll need to buy a truck. My first question is ....will a Nissan Titan, F150, Chevy 1500, or Dodge Ram work for towing a Travel Trailer? I am only looking at V8s in these models. And of course, it depends on the weight of the trailer.

With that in mind, I am asking the experts on the forum to provide guidance about the above mentioned trucks, and suggest a GVWR range of Travel Trailers that I should consider.

1) Guidance on Trucks

2) Guidance on Travel Trailers.

Thanks!
bb

Welcome to RVForums @billybaroo! Glad to have you join us here. I'm sure others will be able to assist you with your questions. Welcome aboard.

Hi, @billybaroo, glad to have you join us on RVF. Great forum with friendly, knowledgeable folks.

The trucks you mention will successfully pull a smaller to mid-size travel trailer rated in the 5000-7000# range. You will need to look at the towing specs for each one to know the exact numbers. That said, you are not going to find "a separate room [area]" for a work space in trailers that size. I would be looking at a 5th wheel trailer or Class C/A motorhome for that kind of space.

For a 5th wheel, I wouldn't go less than a 3/4-ton truck (F-250/2500, etc.) and would really look hard at a one-ton truck. If I was looking to live and work in an RV full time, it would be in a motorhome and towing a small car for local transportation. But, then, that's just me. I'm sure others can do it in a trailer of some sort.

Just remember that living full-time in an RV requires some significant compromises when it comes to space and amenities.

Good luck in your search.

TJ

Because the weak link in tow vehicles is the transmission, I would look at transmission reviews for the above choices. Alison or ZF were the ones I would choose. No diesel for me that left ZF, never been happier with a truck.

Oh ya, the transmission is the weak link, so my truck has a tow capacity of 10500# my trailer, a fifth wheel as old as it may be. is rated with gvw of 6800# I fudge that a little but not a lot. The engine has the power for a trailer bigger but I like not stressing things if I can avoid it.

The Nissan Titan XD will pull the smaller light weight 5th wheels. There are between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 type trucks. Mine is a 2017 gas with a 7 speed transmission and the bed hitch and electric brakes are standard. I believe the new ones are now 9 speed. Now if you are looking at working across America making frequent stops I would like to think a motorhome might be a good Idea? Less work in setups.
20171121_165202.jpg

2020 Newmar Ventana has a 2 bedroom model, the second could easily be converted to a dedicated office. Not sure if that is in your budget.

Latest resources

Back