Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Triple G

RVF Newbee
We just picked up our 1st 5th wheel Camper (2nd day) and are a little lost...
We have 110V & Water (no leaks - :) so far!!
We are about to hook for the up propane for the first time.. -A little help/advice please
And the Fridge is not getting cold - A little help/advice please

Welcome aboard!

We just picked up our 1st 5th wheel Camper (2nd day) and are a little lost...
We have 110V & Water (no leaks - :) so far!!
We are about to hook for the up propane for the first time.. -A little help/advice please
And the Fridge is not getting cold - A little help/advice please
Welcome to our group!

I assume when you say you are hooking up to propane for the first time that means you have had your tanks filled and now have placed them back in the fiver? One thing you should always do is open the valve on top of your propane tank (after hooking it up) very closely.

I will assume you have an "RV fridge" which runs off electric when plugged into shore power and propane/house battery when your fiver is being towed. First of all make sure it is turned on. RV fridges don't cool down nearly as fast as regular residential units. You might wait over 16 hours for ice cube trays to freeze for example when first turning it on, that would be perfectly normal if I remember correctly.

Welcome from Georgia!

Welcome to our group!

I assume when you say you are hooking up to propane for the first time that means you have had your tanks filled and now have placed them back in the fiver? One thing you should always do is open the valve on top of your propane tank (after hooking it up) very closely.

I will assume you have an "RV fridge" which runs off electric when plugged into shore power and propane/house battery when your fiver is being towed. First of all make sure it is turned on. RV fridges don't cool down nearly as fast as regular residential units. You might wait over 16 hours for ice cube trays to freeze for example when first turning it on, that would be perfectly normal if I remember correctly.
Thanks Joe!!

The Fridge... Yea it got barely cold when we first plugged in Elec.. then not cold at all. I'm getting into it today. -We can here the compressor turn on? Maybe just re-charge the Freon?
Joe you mention shore power and the RV Fridge will run on Ele/house battery/propane. do you know if there is a MANUAL Switch OR does it default to shore power like I think it should?
Well wish me luck, couple cups of coffee and I'm getting after it... Oh GOOD NEWS found a lil black on/off switch on the water heater and we now have Hot Water!! Progress ;)

If it is a regular type of RV frig then when you are not plugged into shore power it should automatically switch to propane and 12v (house battery(s). When on shore power it should only be running on electric.

Good luck!

If it is a regular type of RV frig then when you are not plugged into shore power it should automatically switch to propane and 12v (house battery(s). When on shore power it should only be running on electric.

Good luck!
Yup that's what I was thinking too!!
Thanks
G

G, there could be a switch. I would look inside the frig, outside, down toward the bottom, and also take the cover off outside and see if there could be a switch in there. It has been about 4 years since we had an RV frig and my memory ain't that great.

G, there could be a switch. I would look inside the frig, outside, down toward the bottom, and also take the cover off outside and see if there could be a switch in there. It has been about 4 years since we had an RV frig and my memory ain't that great.
OK I'll look again - I checked in and around the Fridge no-switch.
I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee - things might get pretty dangerous around here :devilish: I'm going to take off the bottom panel of the Fridge and start poking at stuff with the business-end of a large screwdriver... :ROFLMAO:

Hope we don't have to start calling you MR. SPARKY!!!!!

Latest resources

Back