RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
Newbie or inquisitive question.
I have read and noticed that some people choose to leave one of the grey tanks drain open when parked with full hookups. I believe the theory is they will need to dump less often.
My position is that when I dump my black tank I would like to have as much grey water as possible to “flush” the lines.
Is this just a personal choice or am I thinking this too much ? My mind does seem to wander when the outside temp is in 3 digits and I’m just sitting in the RV listening to both A/C s drone on.

It’s really personal choice but I leave my grey closed as I want to flush hookup and the hose with as much grey water as I can. Of course there are a few that leave the grey open and hopefully they have a black tank rinse bib to fall back on. I use my black tank rinse after every black dump to keep things clean in the tank. The cleaner you keep your tanks the better your tank sensors will operate.

I subscribe to your theory. The more soapy grey water to flush out the stinky slinky the better. Sometimes I’ll take a shower or do a load of wash if I don't have enough grey water. Also I don’t want to have a connection to the sewer just standing open.

Same as the boys above. I always leave my gray water tank closed until read to dump. If full, and I had to dump before black for some reason I would take a shower or use my flush tank connection for about 10 minutes.

HH

When we are stay somewhere multiple days and likely taking multiple showers (in hot sweaty area of the world!) I keep the grey tank open all the way up to the afternoon of the day before we leave. This gives it plenty of time to fill up before I need to use it to dump the black tank.

The sewers are home of millions of roaches and rats. Leaving the valves open is an open invitation for some of them to relocate in your waste system.
Drowned rat in your tank can be a problem.
I always keep the valves closed until time to dump.

I am a believer in treating gray like I do black. I have spent a long time trying to find the balance of the perfect dump sequence.

This graph and data point shows my current process.

Basically, if the gray tank is 65% and black is below 50,then dump gray.

As we approach higher levels hold gray longer.

My rules never dump black below 85, and never let a tank exceed 95%.
Screenshot_20220716-094320_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220716-094407_Chrome.jpg

Good grief! Forget the charts. There are normally just the two of us. Black is dumped every 4 days, consistently. Grey is left open until the day before the black is to be dumped so there is plenty of grey to flush the line after black is dumped. always flush black after dump.
Never had critters in grey in nearly 20 years of leaving it open, never. Never had black tank odor. Always treat black with a bit of Happy Camper. Grey treated about every 3rd dump with a bit of Happy Camper.

Motto: KISS

Ha,charts just show historical view of how the water is managed.

Bottom line, I hook up, arm the system and then never think twice about it. Works just like a residential system, yet managed to best practices for an RV

Latest resources

Back