• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Cohiba54

RVF Regular
Hi all.
So I need a travel trailer not knowing a dang thing about them I'll need your help.

I have 60 acres in the East Texas piney forest that I will be having work done on for about a month. I want/need to be on site, I like to keep an eye on my dollars. That property is about 200 miles from home. I'm thinking of buying a travel trailer to stay in during the work period. After that there will probably be some coastal fishing trips, some hog and deer hunts. Will more than likely have one or both of my boys (30&22) that will want to chum along with the oldman. So I'll need space for that crew. Self contained for sure, not exceeding 8500 lbs trailer, tow is a 2021 Sierra 1500 AT4 with 3.0 Duramx. I don't want a project, I'm retired have had my fill of those and but am shooting in the 15 to 20 thou price range.

So knowing what I'm going to use the travel trailer for. What would you recommend for this first timer?
Thanks in advance.....

Last edited:
Hi all.
So I need a travel trailer not knowing a dang thing about them I'll need your help.

I have 60 acres in the East Texas piney forest that I will be having work done on for about a month. I want/need to be on site, I like to keep an eye on my dollars. That property is about 200 miles from home. I'm thinking of buying a travel trailer to stay in during the work period. After that there will probably be some coastal fishing trips, some hog and deer hunts. Will more than likely have one or both of my boys (30&22) that will want to chum along with the oldman. So I'll need space for that crew. Self contained for sure, not exceeding 8900 lbs trailer, tow is a 2021 Sierra 1500 AT4 with 3.0 Duramx. I don't want a project, I'm retired have had my fill of those and but am shooting in the 15 to 20 thou price range.

So knowing what I'm going to use the travel trailer for. What would you recommend for this first timer?
Thanks in advance.....
Here's my 2 cents...

Don't buy based upon your towing limitations for a trailer you are planning on placing on your property permanently. (If I read you correctly) For 20 thousand dollars you can purchase a used trailer sufficient to sleep three adults and provide comfortable living. I good generator, perhaps a solar charger. Are you planning on a septic system? Anyway, getting your trailer to the site (one time) should be easy. Either a friend with a big truck, or a service with a fee charged. Start checking out RVTrader, Craig's List, etc... You'll find the perfect set up for you. Merry Christmas!

Here's my 2 cents...

Don't buy based upon your towing limitations for a trailer you are planning on placing on your property permanently. (If I read you correctly) For 20 thousand dollars you can purchase a used trailer sufficient to sleep three adults and provide comfortable living. I good generator, perhaps a solar charger. Are you planning on a septic system? Anyway, getting your trailer to the site (one time) should be easy. Either a friend with a big truck, or a service with a fee charged. Start checking out RVTrader, Craig's List, etc... You'll find the perfect set up for you. Merry Christmas!
No not permanent. It will only be on site for a month or so then use to hunt/fish various times a year.

Should not be a big problem finding one in the 8500 lbs. range. Not only will it work for you It will be easy to sell when you make that choice, if you stick with a bumper pull.

What recommendation do you have as far as manufacturers?
I buy old trailers. That said I don't much keep up on anything new. Although Lite trailers will fall in line with what your asking for. Lites usually have aluminum frames(box not chassis). If the floor gives when you walk on it they cut to many corners. I would also want a trailer with insulated floors with under belly to protect the holding tanks, I would suspect they call this all season option. Brand I would stay away from would be seeker/cruiser brand.

I buy old trailers. That said I don't much keep up on anything new. Although Lite trailers will fall in line with what your asking for. Lites usually have aluminum frames(box not chassis). If the floor gives when you walk on it they cut to many corners. I would also want a trailer with insulated floors with under belly to protect the holding tanks, I would suspect they call this all season option. Brand I would stay away from would be seeker/cruiser brand.
Thank for the info I'm learning as much as possible before spend the dollars.

Winnebago makes a nice pull behind camper. And they offer several floor plans and lengths. You should be able to find something you like.

Latest resources

Back