Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
At times I keep my handgun in the safe, locked. At times I keep it ready for self-defense. It is always stored unloaded with the clip out and to date it's been stored loose in a cabinet. I am looking at these magnetic mounts as an option to at least secure it from moving and also being able to put it on a wall of a cabinet free's up the floor for other things to store loosely and gets it out of the way and secures it from moving, scratches, etc. I can see one of these magnetic mounts for both the handgun and also magazines. Here are a few to consider, two of which I own but have not yet used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PWVGCNL/?tag=rvf01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCMNDZB/?tag=rvf01-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXCJHKG/?tag=rvf01-20

mag-mount-2.png
mag-mount-1.png

Last edited:
what do you do if you get pulled over and you don't have it locked up? In California that spells a world of hurt.

FOPA citation
The first and most common law that is often mentioned regarding the transportation of firearms is the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA). Section 18 of this act is known as the safe passage act. In summary, what the FOPA provides is the ability for certain people (legal owners) to transport firearms from one state where they are allowed to possess that weapon, to another state in which they can legally possess it.

To legally transport a firearm in compliance with the FOPA, it should be unloaded and locked in a case, and not easily accessible to the occupants. The ammunition also needs to be locked in a separate case and not easily accessible.

Is a motorhome a vehicle or a house?

referred to as a housecar in CA. The best thing is have a copy of this and use it for trip planning etc.

amazon

what do you do if you get pulled over and you don't have it locked up? In California that spells a world of hurt.

FOPA citation
The first and most common law that is often mentioned regarding the transportation of firearms is the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA). Section 18 of this act is known as the safe passage act. In summary, what the FOPA provides is the ability for certain people (legal owners) to transport firearms from one state where they are allowed to possess that weapon, to another state in which they can legally possess it.

To legally transport a firearm in compliance with the FOPA, it should be unloaded and locked in a case, and not easily accessible to the occupants. The ammunition also needs to be locked in a separate case and not easily accessible.
I mean, are you really doing something that justifies not only getting pulled over, but getting your RV searched, which would be necessary for them to discover that a weapon were not stored in compliance with FOPA?

when traveling, I do keep my weapon within reach because you never know what situation you will find yourself in and I won’t place my family in a situation where I need to run to the back of the RV, get the case, unlock it, insert the mag and chamber a round. It’s too long.

I have a concealed carry permit from VA, and while not reciprocal everywhere, it’s one of the more widely accepted ones. I’ve considered getting a non-resident permit from another state as well to extend that privilege to other states as well.

When traveling, my weapon is stored in the cabinet above the driver, holstered, with a magazine inserted but no round chambered.
In the event I get pulled over, all of my paperwork is stored in the driver’s side pocket to my left, so that there’s no reason to open that cabinet and possibly reveal the weapon’s presence.

If I’ve done something to warrant an officer stepping into the coach and searching it, well things have really gone sideways.

Nowadays I hear people being pulled over and being asked if they have firearms in the vehicle. It would not be wise to lie about it I would think. If you are lucky to even get a ccw in CA, you are supposed to disclose that you are carrying and you are supposed to wear a tag that Leo can see clearly. So the question is do you voluntarily disclose it or not especially if you don’t have a permit? I agree with @MapNerd that protecting himself and family is above everything providing you are knowledgeable what is what in every state.

Last edited:
This was the topic of a lengthy conversation with a bunch of (off duty) game wardens in south Texas on a BBQ/beer night. The conclusions:
  1. If it's rolling, it's a vehicle.
  2. If it's parked, it's a house.
  3. Motorhomes are generally too difficult to stop for minor stuff (safe place to pull over, can be dangerous to get the driver's attention, etc).
  4. Open bottle of wine in the refrigerator - who really cares, can't reach it from the driver seat.
  5. One person advocated that if the driver didn't have a gun, to issue one.

From what I can see there is no castle doctrine in California so you better carry it as @sheridany quoted If traveling through CA.

Anywhere I go, my Browning and spare mag is in my KELTY chest bag with round chambered and safety on. I check with Legal Heat app the rules for CC in the state. I stay away from Dem run states like NJ, CA, NY etc .
If I have to store my gun unloaded behind 3 locks, and keep amo in a different zip code, why do you bother having one?
Do you think trouble will call you to make an appointment, so you get ready?
But again, everyone has their way of dealing with the self defense issues.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back