Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
This topic has not been discussed recently. That said I assume that the issues with the aftertreatment system have been mostly resolved. However, I've never used DEF in any of the diesels I've used over the years. New ground for me.
Other than the obvious, keep it clean, cool, and fresh, what are peoples routine when managing the DEF system and fluid?
Do you fill the DEF tank at truck stops, or maintain a separate stash in the basement. Do you regularly test the DEF for quality? What tools do you use? Ho3w closely do you monitor temperature of the storage space?

Please let me know your experiences.

Thank you

Only have 3 years experience - these are the guidelines we follow and have never had a issue:
- We use truck stop DEF pumps (our SuperC DEF tank fill neck is right next to the diesel fill neck, many A-Class require moving coach)
- When on a trip, usually wait until down to 1/2 or 1/4 before refilling.
- When storing or sitting for a month or more want it 3/4 or more full.
- When freezing, never have it totally full. In cold enough temps, DEF expands and can crack plastic tanks.

Thank you

I’ve been advised numerous times to buy at the pump. The claim is that it is the “freshest”. I assume that to mean it would have an expiration date as far out as possible. However, when is the last time you’ve actually seen an expiration date?

DEF at the pump with the fuel filler and the DEF tank being 25 feet apart is problematic.

So, I’ve learned to read the ridiculous date code and use the 2.5 gallon boxes. I can fill when necessary, not clog up the fuel pump island and I have a nice 2.5 gallon container afterwards.

Latest resources

Back