• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Harvest Hosts Tips for RVers by RVers

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

I'm a big fan of Harvest Hosts and highly recommend it to take advantage of free one night stays at many great destinations such as wineries, farms, golf courses. To date I've stayed at various wineries and an apple orchard, sadly the apple orchard was off season otherwise I would have loaded up on a half bathroom full of apple pies! However, I want to offer a few tips for Harvest Host destinations as they are unique and offer challenges that are not typical for RVers like going to RV campgrounds.

Harvest Hosts are off the beaten path, really really off the beaten path. They are not along truck routes, or paths that RVers typically go. As a result the roads getting to or from could cause challenges such as tree clearance or height. While most roads are okay, I went to one where the host gave me specific routing to get in due to hazards (trees). It is important that you call and speak to your host if possible, backup is email. You should also do careful study not only with the resources on the Harvest Hosts web site but also using your favorite mapping tool such as Google Maps Satellite view. If you use a GPS with RV weight and dimensions inputs it will help you get in and out more safe otherwise you need to know the weight restrictions for the route so you don't come up on a bridge that has a 5 ton limit and you're 18 tons! As you can tell these destinations require more planning than most of our destinations. They offer an amazing remote destination, often boondocking but some have electrical hookups. Several I've been too have 50A connections which is great. Make sure you know where you're going to park before you get there, how you'll get in and out safely. Also know the surface such as grass field and if it rained a lot recently. Get out and survey before parking.

Harvest Hosts is a great opportunity for us that's extremely affordable, offers great venues such as wineries and restaurants which we are all expected to give them our business in return for the favor. Just be diligent with your planning and research prior to arrival including routes, parking, and all aspects related to your RV.

Very good and very valid points, Neal. I’ll add that I have discovered that some of the folks you deal with can be shy of knowledge about requirements for hosting larger motorhomes. For example, not understanding that parking on a wet, soggy field may lead to wheels in mud up to their hubs. Or why level can be important. Patience helps.

Hopefully everyone who is a member got the email.

The busy summer travel season is among us and we know many of you are out there on the road having great RV adventures. We understand that things happen while traveling and you cannot always make it to your next destination, after all expecting the unexpected is part of RV life. However, calling your Host or canceling through the Request-A-Stay system is expected of all of our Members.

We have implemented a Harvest Hosts No-Show Policy, and it is very important that you adhere to it. Please see the details below.
No-Show Policy:
  1. The first, and subsequent no-shows, will result in an automatic 1-star member review for that stay.
  2. The second no-show will result in a follow-up from a Harvest Hosts member success representative to ensure you are well and nothing is preventing you from keeping your scheduled stays.
  3. The third no-show will result in a membership suspension for up to one year. No refunds will be provided.
Additionally, please note that members are not permitted to request stays at multiple locations for the same night. If we discover a member who breaks this rule, we will revoke their membership.

I was happy to see that. I’m having difficulty finding availability this season and there needs to be sanctions for those who game the system or don’t show up.

Latest resources

Back