Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
When we have visited Yellowstone and surrounding areas we have always camped on the west side. This time around we are coming in from the east and wanted to stay over by Cody and ride up into Beartooth pass. Today heading out from Casper I'll end up on US-20 out of Shoshoni WY. I've checked about everything I can check on those 3 tunnels, they are 14' in the middle and rounded out. Lanes through them look to be 12' width so it will be close since I am 13'3" tall. Think I'll just tell the DW to duck when we start through them!

Haha, yes, duck in your seat does work! Be sure to honk your horn!

We’re only 13 but went through them earlier this year, no issues. We stayed at the Cody KOA. The Trail Head Grill is a good spot to grab a bite for dinner and the Cody Coffee Roaster at the local airport just down the street from there is a good place to fill up on good coffee and crepes before driving into Yellowstone. They also have good sandwiches if you want to be lazy like us and just grab some instead of messing io the kitchen so early in the morning.

If you can, drive in through or exit from Silver Gate. It’s a bit longer drive but absolutely gorgeous and worth it.

Thanks John for the tips. We will check it out. The tunnels were fine. Just as I was approaching the first one a commercial semi was coming out and it looked like he had almost 2' to spare. We didn't even duck!

Commercial trucks are always a comforting sign for me on a road. I tend to get a little worried if I haven’t seen one in a while.

Get yourself a Motor Carriers' road atlas. Every road that is "truck" legal is highlighted in orange. It'll give you more information than you will need. Cut out the guess work.

Get yourself a Motor Carriers' road atlas. Every road that is "truck" legal is highlighted in orange. It'll give you more information than you will need. Cut out the guess work.
Have utilized Commercial Motor Carrier Road Atlas since 2011, usually get an updated one every couple of years. Every once and awhile we need to use a road that is not highlighted but that doesn't always mean we can't drive down it. It might not be approved due to weight limitations, like nothing over 50,000 pounds for example.

Latest resources

Back