• Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Retired

RVF VIP
Fulltimer
No
Greetings all,

Im retired my wife teaches on a 9 month contract and starting in 2021 she will have M-J-J and most of D off every year.

Aug 2025 when she will retire.

In the meantime we are looking for our first RV and havent decided what we want.

Our plans are to travel 60-ish days every summer and spend x-mas in Key West.

I have a 2020 F150 with a towing capacity of 9800# so we are considering a TT, although I would prefer a MH because I like frequent naps when on the road and a MH makes napping easy.

A class C is the right size but Im concerned that it will not have enough power in mountains pulling a light TOAD. I want to visit Rocky Mtn National park, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore and a bunch of other high altitude places.

If we get a Class A Im doing 90% of the driving. My wife will only drive a Class A during the day on flat straight dry roads with no wind. As a teeneager she drove her parents Class A and it scared the daylights out of her.

We are pretty simple people, We want an RV because we dont like hotels and dont like eating in restaurants every day. We dont plan on living in it, we plan on being out doing stuff as much as possible. If Im just going to sit and look at four walls, I can stay home and do that.

Im pretty handy with tools, I can DIY most repairs and maintenance on a vehicle.

Budget is 50k +/-. Im not planning on buying new, to much depreciation.

Welcome to RVF, @Retired; glad to have you join us here. And, glad to hear you are ready to get your feet wet in the RV world. With a Class A diesel pusher, you could easily pull the F-150. I think your budget would wind up a bit on the + side, but you should be able to find a pre-owned Class A not too far from where you want to be budget-wise. The fact that you are "handy with tools" would be a plus.

Certainly, the F-150 would pull up to a mid-size travel trailer and a Class C motorhome will tow a lighter car. We towed a Honda CR-V with our MB Sprinter-chassis Class C some year back and it did fine. We didn't set any speed records traveling through the Mountain West, but we didn't hold many people back either.

Lots of good folks on the forum with knowledge and experience they are willing to share, so be sure you use RVF as a resource.

TJ

Welcome @Retired to the forum. Good luck with your search and keep us posted on what you decide.

Welcome from Georgia!

Latest resources

Back