Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ceejay64

RVF Newbee
My name is Cindy I'm from Cape Cod and am planning my trip down to Florida at the end of January. I know not the ideal time o be pulling a trailer but life has a way of planning for you. My query is...what is some advice you could give me about boondocking, generators and how that all works. I'm an avid youtuber so any videos that you could steer me towards would be great. I can't wait to get to know you all. What an adventure it will be!! Thanks for reading, Cindy

Attachments

• 20211015_153349.jpg
    20211015_153349.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 9
Good for you. Life does have a way of planning for us! Keep looking for youtube and forums like this. If you want boondocking for more than one night like HarvestHost, there is a boondockers group. Others will have to help with generators for you. Hang in there.

Welcome, safe travels. There are many ways to manage power, it starts with how you want to camp and what you need to operate. If you are just trying to run lights and small appliances/ keep the battery charged you could use a smaller Genset. If you need to run your a/c unit and larger electrical loads you need a larger unit. All electrical devices have power demands, you add up all those loads, and then find a genset that can cover.
You can also look to camp in more economical campgrounds (state parks/ county parks/ COE) that let you tie into power at reasonable rates.
I see many folks shuffling multiple options to give them the experiences they want.
Keep researching, asking questions, and building your experience on the road. You will find what works for you. Maybe a workamping gig.

Welcome from Texas. Safe travels on you journey.

Welcome, safe travels. There are many ways to manage power, it starts with how you want to camp and what you need to operate. If you are just trying to run lights and small appliances/ keep the battery charged you could use a smaller Genset. If you need to run your a/c unit and larger electrical loads you need a larger unit. All electrical devices have power demands, you add up all those loads, and then find a genset that can cover.
You can also look to camp in more economical campgrounds (state parks/ county parks/ COE) that let you tie into power at reasonable rates.
I see many folks shuffling multiple options to give them the experiences they want.
Keep researching, asking questions, and building your experience on the road. You will find what works for you. Maybe a workamping gig.
Thank you so much for the advice..I am definitely doing research..

Welcome from Wisconsin. All of you appliances should have a wattage rating, don't forget the battery charger, waterheater, and all lights (led's draw way less power than conventional bulbs). Add up all of the watts and buy a generator whose max load is twice what you total use is. That should put you is a very safe range so that you don't overload your generator.

Honda Generators: Power You Can Trust
I think you major concern in Jan is keeping warm.
Generator considerations in addition to power are what can you lift, if need be and what will fit concealed in the bed of your truck. You will likely need a way to secure the generator while using it, if in public areas, rest areas, etc. The smaller Hondas can be coupled together for double capacity, if space and weight are a concern. Many Flying J truck stops have propane, if you need to fill up along the way. If you are not comfortable at these, many campgrounds also sell propane.

campgroundreviews.com

Latest resources

Back