Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Hello there! This is all new to me and I have many questions.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Explore 2020

RVF Newbee
Hi there! Like many others new to the forum I too Googled RV forums and this was the first site to pop up. I am new to the whole idea of Rv'ing, in fact I don't even own one yet. Most of my life I have either been tent camping starting with scouting or staying in a family cabin. I currently own a 12-person cabin tent but growing up in the Northeast I was lucky enough to visit my family cabin in the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York. This camp was in my family for over a hundred years but we sadly had to sell for various circumstances back in 2017.

During what I have called Covid-cation this spring my wife and I have been able to spend a good amount of time discussing what future vacations might look like for our family. We both do enjoy tent camping. I've bought so many accessories over the years I'm sure we can be accused of glamping but there are times we do like to rough it. In fact back in the Adirondacks I spent a week of vacation digging a hole to build a new outhouse. But thinking to the future we could see ourselves in a few years wanting to get into the world of pop up campers. I've probably spent too much time researching, trying to get an idea of the price ranges, and what the whole buying experience could look like. I know what I would like to get but first we need the appropriate vehicle to tow something of significant size. I currently have a major crush on the Rockwood High Wall series pop-up campers. :)

Just towing a pop-up would be a new experience for me. I've never towed anything in my SUV or car but have hauled kayaks and luggage bags on the roof and bikes and and a sizable cargo tray on my rear hitch.

So with that in mind these are some of my questions for those with more experience and insight:
-Would you suggest trying to tow something behind my vehicle before I ever tow a camper? Any recommendations?

-would you suggest using Outdoorsy first to try things out? (I think we would to see if the whole process/experience is for us.)

-I see many post about buying a newer used pop-up camper than buying new. Any thoughts?

-I am seeing for the RV dealers around me they do not have a large selection of pop up campers and with one salesperson I did speak to over the phone they told me they usually only get those in as part of a trade-in or it would have to be special order. Is this a normal situation that is just part of the industry?

- Do you have recommendations as to how I could see the models I would be most interested in?

-Should I be prepared to travel a distance to find the camper I want?

A lot here I know and I'm sure I'll have many more questions but would appreciate any insight to the ones I posted above. Many thanks!

Regarding finding a unit. Have you tried looking at RVTrader.com? A nationwide sales outlet of new and used units. Private sales and dealerships. When you setup a search, select “pop up camper” under type of units. Set your search range in miles and you’ll be entertained for hours.

welcome aboard

I second @RandyB suggestion about RVtrader.com. I would also recommend actually pulling a trailer to see if you can do it. It’s not the pulling that’s the problem; it’s the backing up. I’m a city kid, and can’t back one up to save my life. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the RVF family, @Explore 2020; glad to have you. The advice offered previously about RVTrader is good. Checking there will give you a good idea of prices and availability.

If you are looking to buy new, I would recommend attending some camping/outdoors/RV shows in your area. Leave your wallet, checkbook and credit card home. ;) Just go to check out what is being offered. Seeing them in-person is a big advantage as photos don't always give you all the info you need. Try searching online for "camping show" or "outdoors show" near me.

Good luck.

TJ

Welcome to the forum. And yes, I love pop up campers. Many great memories as a kid with my parents'. I recently helped our daughter get a pop up camper. I googled, read forums, and searched the local Craigslist for months. They do come up for sale often around here. I looked at a few. I found one with the canvas in excellent condition. Seems to be one of the areas of biggest concern. Look for holes, rips, signs of water damage or rot. I did a few minor fixes to it, and now they are loving being off the ground. I posted some pictures of it in the Jayco section of this forum.
They can be very light, easily towed by a Jeep, or very heavy depending on which model you get. Just make sure sure you don't get near your tow vehicle's max weight rating.

Welcome to RVF, glad you found us. Since you mentioned you are in the NE, there is a RV show in Hersey, PA generally held in September. They have all kinds of RVs where you can tour inside.

Latest resources

Back