RV Make
Montana High Country
RV Model
294RL
RV Length
36'
Fulltimer
No
I just joined this forum today even though I been pulling trailers for over 30yrs.

I have a nagging question (maybe problem) we'll see.
What is your folks opinion on the various capacities that are stated in a mfrs. brochure? Does one believe exactly what is printed or are there assumptions to be made ?

My case in point; If it is stated that the Fresh Water is 66 gal., Does that mean I have somewhere close to that amount available for use? Or not?

And Yes, There is more to this story, but I would like your opinion first!

Thank You!

Pat

Last edited:
Welcome to RVForums @eZAK. It's best to verify as best as you can, I know my tanks top out at about 10% less than what's published.

Welcome to RVF, @eZAK; glad to have you here with us. While I have never measured any of my RV tanks down to the last gallon, they have always seemed to be pretty close to the stated capacity.

TJ

Thanks for having me!

Well what started it off was basically two different weekend trips with our new 2020/2021 Montana High Country 294RL.
It took us two years to decide on this particular one.

Our previous 5th wheel, 2008 Titanium 28E33SA by Glendale, had a 62 gal. tank, w/ about 2-3 gal. unusable.
We (wife, myself, & 2 large dogs) could stay 7-8 days before needing to add water.

With the High Country we lasted only 2.5 days until the pump ran continuously. Which of course started the ball rolling, [so to speak]
(noted, apples to apples, we each took one military type shower b/c of Covid)

Our routine; After flushing, I put about 8-10 gal. in the tank, water heater is full, and gray (2) & black each have 1 gal. plus chem.

Something just doesn't add up!

Pat

Your tank could be like one I had. Don't remember the capacity, but is wasn't a big tank. The vent was installed about 1 1/2 inches below the top so it would not fill completely, and the suction line for the pump was 1 1/2 inches above the bottom. If I recall, the capacity was reduced by about 20 gallons, and the factory said "Too bad, so sad"...... Do you have access to the tank for inspection?

Gronk, I had pondered those same things. I think you may be on to something! Although the 5'vr is stored on my property, I may have to wait until spring.
Snow is predicted for this weekend!

Gronk, I had pondered those same things. I think you may be on to something! Although the 5'vr is stored on my property, I may have to wait until spring.
Snow is predicted for this weekend!
Yea, don't miss the white stuff!! Anyhow, I remembered the quantities..... Tank was a 45 gallon and by time you subtracted the 'not usable' portions we had about 30 gallons total usable.

I have heard back from Keystone. This is their finale word on this;

The "Fresh Water 66gal" in all their spec sheets, "refers to the fresh water System capacity, and not just the fresh water tank"

I wish I would have know to assume this when shopping for a new 5'vr :rolleyes:

You might also consider that during the drive the tank might have siphoned some of its contents through the overflow tube. Many of us have had that problem and have had to redo/reconfigure the overflow system. Some tanks have been known to lose half of their water just moving from one park to another.

Latest resources

Back