Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

J&M1995

RVF Newbee
Hello everyone. My husband and I have been looking, thinking, discussing RV's/Campers now for about 8 years....
We will be retiring in 5 years and we have decided that we should buy soon and begin taking our vacations/long weekends traveling in an RV.
We have decided that we are going to spend the fist 2 years following retirement traveling the United States.
The problem that we are having is that we have no idea which route we should go???? Is it better to purchase an RV and tow a car or is it better to buy a camper and a tow vehicle??
I would really love to hear about what route you went and why?

Thanks so much!!!

Welcome to RVF, @J&M1995; glad to have you here with us.

Theres really no "right answer" to your question. The decision depends on what you are comfortable with and, to some extent, your budget.

We have pretty much done it all in the RV world; travel trailer, 5th wheel, converted bus, Class C motorhome and Class A motorhome. Some of the reason for the different RVs was family and job related, some was budget and some was preference. Each of our choices was "right" for us at the time; however, conditions changed over the years and so did our choices.

If we could do it all over again without any restrictions, we would go directly to a diesel pusher Class A motorhome. We prefer the amenities, the convenience of being able to tow our car and the overall livability of a larger coach. That might not be your preference, however, and you need to find your comfort zone. You are smart to start planning and exploring now.

Good luck on your search.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @J&M1995; glad to have you here with us.

Theres really no "right answer" to your question. The decision depends on what you are comfortable with and, to some extent, your budget.

We have pretty much done it all in the RV world; travel trailer, 5th wheel, converted bus, Class C motorhome and Class A motorhome. Some of the reason for the different RVs was family and job related, some was budget and some was preference. Each of our choices was "right" for us at the time; however, conditions changed over the years and so did our choices.

If we could do it all over again without any restrictions, we would go directly to a diesel pusher Class A motorhome. We prefer the amenities, the convenience of being able to tow our car and the overall livability of a larger coach. That might not be your preference, however, and you need to find your comfort zone. You are smart to start planning and exploring now.

Good luck on your search.

TJ
Wow! you have experience with them all :) We are empty nesters. We not plan on living in the RV fulltime. Over then next 5 years will just be for 1 or 2 week vacations and long weekends. When we do retire in 5 years, we plan on going for 3 months at a time and coming back home to our home for the holidays. Of course, we all know that time changes things :) So although this is our "plan" now, it could always change.

My main concern is that I hate to camp. I prefer hotels and vacation rentals. For vacations now we either cruise or get a vacation rental.
I am worried that I will hate RV'ing but I really LOVE road trips and I have strong desire to see every inch of the United States. I do not want to sleep in a different hotel each night and I think it will just be so much more convenient sleeping in the same bed each night and not having to pack/unpack when we are ready to move on to the next location.

Purchasing an RV is a huge step and I just don't want to buy the wrong type :)

Thanks for your input!

Latest resources

Back