RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
I've heard folks talk about "Apple TV" but never checked it out. I just assumed it was a TV offered by Apple. Well, apparently I missed the boat!

Desiring to stream from the Internet to our sticks-and-bricks TV, I started investigating how to do it. That's where "Apple TV" popped out since all of our electronic devices are Apple IOS (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro and iMac). Whaddyaknow; "Apple TV" is just an interface box that works with most TVs. Who knew? Certainly not this old dinosaur!

OK, let's get serious. In looking at Apple TV," I find that it comes in various flavors; 4K 32G, 4K 64G, HD, etc.). Help me figure out what I need. If this works in the sticks-and-bricks TV, I could be in the market for another for the coach...or, could I just move the S&B unit to the coach when we go on the road.

Any help and recommendations will be sincerely appreiated.

TJ

Jim

RV Year
RV Make
Tiffin
RV Model
Phaeton QTH
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock
What are you needs? When we're in the MH and staying at parks with Internet, we use our Firestick. Amazon has lots of free movies that you can stream. And I believe it connects to Netflix as well, if you have a Netflix account.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
TJ, I suggest get the latest and greatest so it's buy once and it will work for you for many years to come. I suggest the 4K model, whatever the latest from the Apple.com web site is. 4K is the latest one, HD I believe is the former model:

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
What are you needs? When we're in the MH and staying at parks with Internet, we use our Firestick. Amazon has lots of free movies that you can stream. And I believe it connects to Netflix as well, if you have a Netflix account.
Jim:

Right now, our primary "need" is to stream our church's worship services on Sundays. That said, we also like to stream the occasional movie, sports event, etc. When on-the-road with the coach, we like to keep up with our beloved Washington State "Cougars" football and basketball teams. We're not huge streamers at this point, but it looks to me like this is the coming thing and satellite TV is on the way out.

TJ

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
TJ, I suggest get the latest and greatest so it's buy once and it will work for you for many years to come. I suggest the 4K model, whatever the latest from the Apple.com web site is. 4K is the latest one, HD I believe is the former model:

I suspect you are right, @Neal. That would mean the 4K 64G, I presume. Likely overkill for us right now, but I think we are investing in the future here.

TJ

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
How does the Apple TV connect to the TV? HDMI? USB? Will this setup work with a 4-5 year-old TV like our S&B Sony? Or, will we need to also buy a new "smart" TV?

TJ

Last edited:
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
4K any size, but buy it right the first time and you're done. Most TV's these days are 4K, 4K content is common now, you'll enjoy it and not be mad that you have something obsolete on arrival.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
OK...entering the 21st Century at warp speed! The Apple TV 4K 64G and HDMI cable will be here Wednesday. Maybe an old dog can still learn a new trick.

TJ

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3543
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Gladiator
How does the Apple TV connect to the TV? HDMI? USB? Will this setup work with a 4-5 year-old TV like our S&B Sony? Or, will we need to also buy a new "smart" TV?

TJ
I agree with Neil...get the latest version, the 4K...it hooks up to the TV via HDMI. It should hook up fine to your TV. Both of ours at the S&B are about that old or older, and it works fine. It‘s really simple to set up.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
I agree with Neil...get the latest version, the 4K...it hooks up to the TV via HDMI. It should hook up fine to your TV. Both of ours at the S&B are about that old or older, and it works fine. It‘s really simple to set up.
Glad to hear the setup is "really simple." Simple is good for dinosaurs and old dogs!

TJ

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
Update!

This old dinosaur has finally joined the 21st Century! Got the new AppleTV 4K installed and activated today. It did take an extended session with Apple Support and "Becca" was fabulous in helping to resolve a couple of issues. I told her that she could tell all her friends that she had worked with a technology dinosaur...and survived the experience. She was very nice and quite patient. It was appreciated.

We couldn't get the setup done via the iPad Air 2 for some reason, so she had me switch over to the iPhone. After a few tweaks, we got connected and activated. In time, we'll get accounts set up for LadyDi's iPad Air 2 and both of our MacBook Pros.

Lots to learn now about streaming, but we're on our way. I've got the screen mirroring down for putting photos, etc. up on the big TV. Much more to do and learn, but I'm exhausted ;) so will leave that for the coming days. Nap time!

TJ

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Well that explains my Apple TV smoking earlier! :)

Congrats TJ. You deserve a poptart!

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
Well that explains my Apple TV smoking earlier! :)

Congrats TJ. You deserve a poptart!
Thanks, @Neal; please pass that Pop-Tart along to Miss Ellli for me.

TJ

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
please pass that Pop-Tart along to Miss Ellli for me.

Nope. She's in timeout for chewing through my computer speaker wires again! 3rd pair of computer speakers on the way!

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
Nope. She's in timeout for chewing through my computer speaker wires again! 3rd pair of computer speakers on the way!
Uhhh ohhh! "But, dad...I'm still teething and need something to chew on."

This, too, shall pass, @Neal.

TJ

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3543
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Gladiator
TJ, if your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV are all connected to the same iCloud account, the photos you take with your phone or iPad will be send to your tv whenever your phone backs up photos to the cloud. Make sure that cloud backup is happening automatically in your phone settings.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
TJ, if your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV are all connected to the same iCloud account, the photos you take with your phone or iPad will be send to your tv whenever your phone backs up photos to the cloud. Make sure that cloud backup is happening automatically in your phone settings.
Thanks...I'm working on that. I've reached my techno limit for today but it is on the list for tomorrow.

TJ

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
While you have the physical remote for Apple TV there is also an app "Apple TV Remote" you can get from the Apple App Store so you can drive your Apple TV from your phone or ipad without the need for the remote. This also makes it easier to sign in to things so you can type on your phone directly when needed instead of using the handheld remote and picking letters.

Open the app store app and search for "Apple TV Remote" or click the link above from your phone or iPad.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
Thanks, @Neal. Wish I'd known about the app when I was trying to register. Trying to use the remote to peck in one letter at a time was A pain.

TJ

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
Who Knew?

So, being the tech-savvy old guy I am, I ordered a second remote for the newly-installed AppleTV 4K so that LadyDi would have her own. Yeah...I know...I just found out...you can only have ONE remote connected to that little black box. Who knew, indeed? Probably everyone but me. Glad Amazon has a liberal return policy. Oh well.

I installed the AppleTV remote app on my phone, so that should work.

TJ