Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
I've heard folks talk about "Apple TV" but never checked it out. I just assumed it was a TV offered by Apple. Well, apparently I missed the boat!

Desiring to stream from the Internet to our sticks-and-bricks TV, I started investigating how to do it. That's where "Apple TV" popped out since all of our electronic devices are Apple IOS (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro and iMac). Whaddyaknow; "Apple TV" is just an interface box that works with most TVs. Who knew? Certainly not this old dinosaur!

OK, let's get serious. In looking at Apple TV," I find that it comes in various flavors; 4K 32G, 4K 64G, HD, etc.). Help me figure out what I need. If this works in the sticks-and-bricks TV, I could be in the market for another for the coach...or, could I just move the S&B unit to the coach when we go on the road.

Any help and recommendations will be sincerely appreiated.

TJ

What are you needs? When we're in the MH and staying at parks with Internet, we use our Firestick. Amazon has lots of free movies that you can stream. And I believe it connects to Netflix as well, if you have a Netflix account.

TJ, I suggest get the latest and greatest so it's buy once and it will work for you for many years to come. I suggest the 4K model, whatever the latest from the Apple.com web site is. 4K is the latest one, HD I believe is the former model:

What are you needs? When we're in the MH and staying at parks with Internet, we use our Firestick. Amazon has lots of free movies that you can stream. And I believe it connects to Netflix as well, if you have a Netflix account.
Jim:

Right now, our primary "need" is to stream our church's worship services on Sundays. That said, we also like to stream the occasional movie, sports event, etc. When on-the-road with the coach, we like to keep up with our beloved Washington State "Cougars" football and basketball teams. We're not huge streamers at this point, but it looks to me like this is the coming thing and satellite TV is on the way out.

TJ

TJ, I suggest get the latest and greatest so it's buy once and it will work for you for many years to come. I suggest the 4K model, whatever the latest from the Apple.com web site is. 4K is the latest one, HD I believe is the former model:

I suspect you are right, @Neal. That would mean the 4K 64G, I presume. Likely overkill for us right now, but I think we are investing in the future here.

TJ

How does the Apple TV connect to the TV? HDMI? USB? Will this setup work with a 4-5 year-old TV like our S&B Sony? Or, will we need to also buy a new "smart" TV?

TJ

Last edited:
4K any size, but buy it right the first time and you're done. Most TV's these days are 4K, 4K content is common now, you'll enjoy it and not be mad that you have something obsolete on arrival.

OK...entering the 21st Century at warp speed! The Apple TV 4K 64G and HDMI cable will be here Wednesday. Maybe an old dog can still learn a new trick.

TJ

How does the Apple TV connect to the TV? HDMI? USB? Will this setup work with a 4-5 year-old TV like our S&B Sony? Or, will we need to also buy a new "smart" TV?

TJ
I agree with Neil...get the latest version, the 4K...it hooks up to the TV via HDMI. It should hook up fine to your TV. Both of ours at the S&B are about that old or older, and it works fine. It‘s really simple to set up.

I agree with Neil...get the latest version, the 4K...it hooks up to the TV via HDMI. It should hook up fine to your TV. Both of ours at the S&B are about that old or older, and it works fine. It‘s really simple to set up.
Glad to hear the setup is "really simple." Simple is good for dinosaurs and old dogs!

TJ

Latest resources

Back