Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Help ,RoadTrek 170 ( Year 2000 ) built on a Dodge Ram 3/4 ton,, is that when i plug the camper in to AC it rapidly BOILS the cabin battery

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

chatvmax

RVF Newbee
The issue im having with my RoadTrek 170 ( Year 2000 ) built on a Dodge Ram 3/4 ton,, is that when i plug the camper in to AC it rapidly BOILS the cabin battery until it actually explodes.
I had the original one crack and the acid dripped out on the ground.. I replaced the alternator and battery isolater, same thing.
Then i was thinking that its fine when not plugged in SO it cant be those components..
Whatever it is it must be related to some charging system when plugged into AC only... any help appreciated
PS - im good with a meter and have tools..
Thank You in advance

I can only think of is very high DC charging voltage, or high charging current (Amps)
Another thing is that that maybe the charging system does not cut off when charging is completed ?

The converter needs to be replaced, this charges your batteries when plugged into shore power. Do not plug it in until you replace the converter. It is usually near the fuse panel and many times is under it. A lead acid battery should not be higher then mid to high 13 volts. Disconnect the battery and use the meter to check the output of the converter when plugged in. Just put the leads on the battery terminals with battery disconnected.

The original Magnetek converter/charger was infamous for boiling batteries. You can get a “near” drop in replacement from WFCO and PD - you keep your AC breaker panel, but slide out the converter board and DC fuse panel and install new ones. They have smart 3 or 4 stage chargers and cost less than a decent pair of batteries.

Latest resources

Back