Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Help, Side Door Hinges Broke, Door Needs Attention.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TXbound

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Winnebago
RV Model
Adventurer
RV Length
Chassis
Chevy P30
Engine
454 Vortac
Fulltimer
Yes
Here's one you don't hear everyday, the side door top and middle hinges were so rusted that today they broke and the door is left with one good bottom hinge, the door isn't looking so good either, the metal frame that is on the inside part of the door where the hinges are is bent out of shape, it's not aligned and it doesn't align well with the screen which seems ok. I started to panic and considered calling a mobile RV repair, but what could they possibly do on such short notice? I got out my mallet and pounded on the top bent hinge till I could get it aligned enough with the frame and close it, I locked it but I'm not sure it's locked and I don't want to test it. Now I'm stuck with a door that can't be used and could fall off it's last hinge when I move the RV. I need to go the most cost effective route which would be replacing the broken hinges and trying to align the door properly so that it closes and locks, If I don't need to replace with original hinges, than I found these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R7VZRXQ/?tag=rvf01-20 and I"m wondering if they will do the trick? Is it a Lippert Door? If I can find the right hinges, what makes more sense to take the door off and replace the two broken hinges, or to leave the existing hinge which is hardly rusted and install hinges without taking the door off, if that is possible. I will post a couple of pictures of the hinges if that helps, I need to get this figured out by Sunday when I'm supposed to move the RV, also expecting rain. Please help with any ideas or suggestions you may have that might work. Thanks with one thing after another with all that's been going wrong with this rusty old rig, I"m coming unhinged myself :)

Attachments

• 3942EC42-4387-4663-88D3-96691594BB7D.jpeg
    3942EC42-4387-4663-88D3-96691594BB7D.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 35E501FC-C792-40CC-8B50-7D2CDA84EA00.jpeg
    35E501FC-C792-40CC-8B50-7D2CDA84EA00.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If I was needing to buy time until I could find the replacement parts, and assuming the hinge is still structurally intact but just the hinge pin is gone, I might look at replacing the pins with a new pin, thin bolt or thickest wire.

If I was needing to buy time until I could find the replacement parts, and assuming the hinge is still structurally intact but just the hinge pin is gone, I might look at replacing the pins with a new pin, thin bolt or thickest wire.
The hinges is sheered off
As you can see in the photo the hinges are not structurally intact, to make matters worse the screen door attaches to the door hinges. I ordered the friction hinges but I’m thinking it won’t work because of the screen unless I’m willing to be without the screen door till I can get the right setup with the hinges if the are available, meantime looks like I talked with a RV repair guy and he said it would need ti be welded, since the hinges are not that easy to find, He suggested attaching a couple of hinges in the meantime which is what I’m hoping to with the friction hinges I’m attaching some more photos, if you look at the gap where the hinge is that’s where it broke off. Thanks for the suggestion but I think it doesn’t look like it will apply here 1C946361-A066-4D53-B800-A8E75EAF838A.jpegF9BD3793-0695-41AC-9688-5557637F3FFE.jpeg8D0E242D-775F-4959-8890-7EF86EDF42E6.jpeg718A06EC-1EDE-4A68-B67F-981558F4F7B8.jpeg

Attachments

• 6E5C39BA-A783-4478-BCB6-9F084DB52853.jpeg
    6E5C39BA-A783-4478-BCB6-9F084DB52853.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Help, the bolts that hold the hinges on my exterior battery cabinet have rusted thru and fallen out.
In recommendations for repair, should I fill the existing holes with some type of filler?
Or should I just use larger screws or both.
Thanks for any advice.

Looks right!
You may need to have a little fab work done but by what I see it should work.

Latest resources

Back