Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Help sorting the heard with quality 4 season 5th wheels, and quality!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

fastline

RVF Newbee
New here! But not new to camping in anything from a pop up to class A RV, including working on all of them. I am looking for recommendations/opinions of trailer OEMs and series that focus on quality, insulation, air seal, cold weather performance, and a decent floor plan.

Due to all the economic drama, I am living in a camper on my large property as I am trying to get things built. It is taking forever. My current camper was intended to just be a job trailer/office. It became a home. It has next to no insulation, but I was able to survive in -10F temps in it. I say this because I realize some here will say "nothing is really 4 season". I am looking for a big upgrade in quality and I am certain I can solve the rest of the issues. I made the current one do what most would say is not possible.

I am currently looking at Eagle premier, Forest River, and Heartland. I am looking for something 10y old or so. Certainly not new. The listed trailers seems to have good insulation everywhere and forward thinking. I VERY much like the Aluminum framing in the Eagle, but not sure which others have that? I realize that can hurt insulation values but it also won't rot!

I am very turned on with the Heartland toy haulers. Torque series I believe. Mostly because that hauler bay could be a huge help to me way beyond camping. I am not really looking to 'tour the world' with one of these, I need one that is built right to handle real weather, resist rodents, and just a solid piece! A toy hauler would be so great, but I realize I would sacrifice some living area. However, the last eagle I looked at had a fireplace. Like...for me....wtf? I could care less about a fireplace! lol

I am value shopping here, and I am a working engineer that wrenches on everything so the words "they are out of business" doesn't ruffle my feathers much if I can get a deal.

Sorry for not responding earlier. I don't spend much time here anymore.

All weather implies that the plumbing is protected from outside temperature. (Not heated Same problems as with any camper. )

I have never met a rv that was not an energy hog. Cycling of the heater has more to do with mass than insulation, and we all want an RV lite enough to travel with.

A couple of ways to increase mass are:

1) using the earth (install skirting).
2) placing water containers in the rv(water =mass) and can be removed to travel.

My design incorporates a rocket mass heater outside the rv that heats water storage, as I move as little as I can. (No pumps, no propane, just small pieces of wood. ) supplemented with a brick wall heater.

To many have embraced the complex in today's world!

I like old!!! I think of my current rv as fairly new 1983. Has an aluminum box frame, and I can modify without harming it's value.

Latest resources

Back